Replacing invalid security ID with default security ID problem

Hey guys. Sorry to bother you with this but I need your help.

Today I restarted my computer and came back to it and it was running a Chkdsk scan and for about a hour it was saying ' Replacing invalid security id with default security id ' for various different files.

Now when I log in I can't play any music files, can't copy and paste any files, can't drag any files, the computer won't connect to the internet using wifi.

I'm using windows xp, really need your help to get this fixed, I can't see a way ATM.

Thanks.

First, document the path to the files of concern. They are likely related to
(A) \Documents and Settings\yourlogin\my documents.

Find what user-id exist on the system: cd \documents and settings\
and (B) every subdirectory is an account on your system.

Now boot into Save Mode using F8 and log into an Admin account

Naviage to the %userprofile% for your account eg \Documents and Settings\yourlogin\
Take ownership of My Documents using
  1. right-click on My Docs->Properties->Security
  2. click on Advanced Button near the bottom
  3. click the Permissions Tab and
    • verify your login is shown OR
    • click ADD and insert your login and click CHECK NAMES (it must return your login or you've got a typo)
  4. click EDIT and mark it for Full Control
  5. Click the OWNER tab and select the ADMIN login you started with
  6. [x] replace ownership and apply (Giving the Admin all your files)
  7. click Apply
step (4) ensures you can still manage all content regardless of steps 5-6

ALL the NTFS settings for this directory will be rebuilt

Thank you for your quick reply, I went through what you suggested and the problems are still there.

Every file on the computer is effected with the problem even if I put a USB stick or hard drive in I can't copy and paste files on there or drag files on there etc.

Actually ignore that last post, went through the steps again and it seems to have fixed it (fingers crossed).

Thank you very much :)

OMG I am having the same problem, I am returning this laptop to my job so I had all of my personal info transferred of the hard drive and when I tried to reboot it gave me the invalidsecurityid error, and now it deleted it looks like all of the company's files that I needed to keep on there!! I have to return this laptop in working condition or forego my severance, sorry please help me!! I will paypal for help ..

Jobeard, thanks for your reply first off, I appreciate it. I am showing as the owner and in full control along with the admin. It is showing me as the current owner. I have now changed the owner to Admin/AlexSoltani, applied the changes, and am now rebooting.

You should have seen that the effective permissions were applied to This Directory and all Subdirs - -
pls reverify.

Last question before I do that!!

I am showing current owner as administrators (alexsoltani-pc..\adminstrators.

Change owner to (??)
administrators (alex soltani)
alex soltani (alex soltani)

which one do I select, and then I will "replace owner on subcontainers and objects)

Last question before I do that!!

I am showing current owner as administrators (alexsoltani-pc..\adminstrators.

1. Change owner to (??)
  2. administrators (alex soltani)
  3. alex soltani (alex soltani)

which one do I select, and then I will "replace owner on subcontainers and objects)

First, you are reporting YOUR PROFILE directory and NOT C: or the \Windows\* - - if so then:

Looks like alex soltani is has admin rights and that's ok, but understand that administrators means ALL admins will have access too. If your happy with that, then #2 otherwise #3

Ok I made myself the owner (admin/alexsoltani) and am replacing owner on multiple files it looks like right now. Sorry for being confusing, haven't done this in years. You are a genius. I will reboot after this and see where I am at.

And yes, the problem was I was doing it in "my documents" instead of for the root directory C:\ also. I should read directions better :)

Grrr; it should have been MY DOCS or %userprofile%.
While C: gives admin total control, the Windows\* should be owned by SYSTEM.

If you get where you NEED to be - - PUNT and let the IT department fuss with it - - they should just wipe and
reimage it anyway :grin:

Back