Replacing my 4870x2, need advice on possible alternatives

*Solved* Replacing my 4870x2, need advice on possible alternatives

Hello guys,
i have recently upgraded my system to an up-to date quad core setup. I have been using my trusty old 4870x2 for nearly 2 years now and still it is able chew on any game that is thrown at it. But lately what has started to bug me is the ATI's lack of support in terms of old dual GPU graphics card and as a result i have been having all sorts of issues with different games where one game works well with certain set of drivers and other with different ones.
So i have finally decided that it is time to move on to something more recent and equally if not more powerful.

I have done some research and i am inclined towards buying a GTX 480 which i can get for around £180 after discount.

Also there is a Super overclocked version that is available for £215 that is close to a 580 in terms of performance.

Do you guys think that an extra £40 is worth the performance boost ?

i have also thought of the possibility to get and unlock a 6950 but its more like a hit or miss as its not certain if the card will unlock not to mention the chances of artifacts increased temps if it does.

Also I have a single PCI express motherboard so SLI is out of question (for now).

Please feel free to post your thoughts and views.

cheers

That's a pretty good price for a GTX 480, the stock version should give you just slightly better overall performance than the 4870 X2 ... the SC a bit better. The driver situation with the 4870 X2 will not likely improve over time, so if your goal is better driver support this sounds like a reasonable move.

Depends on whether or not you're comfortable overclocking yourself or simply prefer to go with a factory overclocked card. If it's EVGA, I'd probably go with the SC version and then see how much I could overclock it.

Back