Request Explanation of Apparent File System Errors In XP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hail!

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2 and I've found some peculiar errors relating to file storage on my HDDs.

The Problem: At a certian point in the past I placed some image files (PNG & JPG) on my HDD. Some of these files are viewed regularly and some I access perhaps once a month. While recently trying to access these files, Windows tells me that it cannot open them or that those files don't exist files even though it can tell me the name, size and date of creation. It gives me no errors while trying to defrag the disc, but I cannot move or delete those files. Also, both the frequently used files and the unused files display this problem.

The Question: WTF is going on? Is it a Virus or Windows? Also, How can I recover and/or prevent windows from screwing up if indeed it is the culpret?

Zordrac

The XP setting for which application opens .png and .jpg has gone wrong. Have you uninstalled something which relates to those graphical file types?
Open control panel and double-click folder options. Clcik the tab file types and scroll down to jpg and png and tell us what it says in 'opens with' ?

Chances are though, it is a virus or registry corruption. You have backups of course? ho,ho

Hail!

Yes, I have back up! You say it is a possibility of a regestry corruption, let us suppose that this was so, how do I go about fixing it or preventing such corruptions?

Zordrac

Preventing ? Anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, router, keeping updated with patches, disabling various things in your browser, not going on dangerous sites, not downloading any old thing suggested by 'cure-your-PC sites......it goes on and on.

Fixing? Why jump to conclusions, just answer the first question, please and we take it from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back