Require help on a minecraft server

Right first things first to mix it up a bit, I've started a minecraft server on an LINUX based operating system, I've followed all the steps that have been required to start the minecraft server and so on, I've portforwarded everything (something else about it comes up later) And done everything it has said to do. I've run minecraft servers before so I do know how they work

HOWEVER, Because I still want to keep the portforwarding on my main computer so that I will be able to host other things from it, I changed the minecraft server to 25566 and since doing that no one has been able to connect to it. The only way I can connect to it is the internal address:25566 and nothing else. Other than that it does not work at all.

Yes I have put the correct IP in
Yes I am using the external IP to connect to it but it won't allow me to join with the external IP address even if I put :25566 after it.

Any suggestions?

You said you've port forwarded it. Then you changed the listening port on server. Did you also change the port forward rule on router?

Yes we did change the portforwarding rule. We had the main computer of 192.168.xx.xx:25565 and the new one of 192.168.xx.xx:25566 However we could not connect externally to the 25566 port. So we removed the 25565 rule on the router and tried it on the other computer in which has the server on and it worked perfectly fine. However when we changed it back to 25566 it still wouldn't connect externally. We then re added the 25565 rule onto the main computer and now I cant connect to it externally either

So, to confirm, there is a rule on router that says "port 25566 forward to IP NEW_COMPUTER". And when you try to connect externally via NEW_COMPUTER:25566, it doesn't work?

You gotta be missing a step since 25565 worked fine on the OLD_COMPUTER. Maybe check Windows Firewall and add 25566 as exception, check AV, etc ...

Back