Researchers find "substantial evidence" that the universe may be a hologram

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Researchers from the University of Southampton in collaboration with colleagues in Canada and Italy argue in a new paper that our lives – everything we see, feel and hear as well as our perception of time – may actually be a hologram originating from a flat, two-dimensional field.

University of Southampton Mathematical Sciences Professor Kostas Skenderis said the idea is similar to that of ordinary holograms, like those found on credit cards, in which a three-dimensional image is encoded in a two-dimensional surface.

Another way of thinking about it is with a 3D film in a theater. While what you’re watching in such a setting isn’t a hologram, the pictures are perceived as having height, width and depth when in actuality, it all comes from a flat 2D screen. The difference in our 3D universe, they note, is that we can touch objects and the “projector” is “real” from our perspective.

Skenderis and his team took data about irregularities in the cosmic microwave background (the “afterglow" of the Big Bang) and applied it to holographic models. In doing so, the team said they found “substantial evidence” supporting a holographic explanation of the universe.

As Inverse highlights, this is a controversial subject among researchers. The publication points to a team of theoretical physicists that came to the opposite conclusion in December 2015. The idea was originally floated in the ‘90s.

When asked by Gizmodo if the model says we live in a hologram, Niayesh Afshordi, the study’s first author from the University of Waterloo in Canada, said he would say that we don’t live in a hologram but perhaps we could have come out of a hologram.

Perhaps Professor Skenderis sums it up best:

“Einstein's theory of general relativity explains almost everything large scale in the universe very well, but starts to unravel when examining its origins and mechanisms at quantum level. Scientists have been working for decades to combine Einstein's theory of gravity and quantum theory. Some believe the concept of a holographic universe has the potential to reconcile the two. I hope our research takes us another step towards this."

The results of their study are published in the journal Physical Review Letters.

Lead image via Daily Galaxy. Sketch courtesy Paul McFadden

Permalink to story.

What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely *****ic things I have ever heard... At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought... Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it... I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

The theory sounds quite crazy, would love to have more time to read the paper.

What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely *****ic things I have ever heard...
It's on par with other 1 liners or 1 word replies in other topics... I was starting to think I was the only one noticing.

What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely *****ic things I have ever heard... At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought... Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it... I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Wow..that was a bit much

Wow..that was a bit much

Its a quote from an Adam Sandler movie. Billy Madison? The one where he needs to go back to school to prove he can run his father's company when he retires.

Um, Okay a simple "wrong" would've done just fine. But...

great movie!

I believe the "hologram" is representative of how the universe physically is... this theory doesn't necessarily mean that someone actually is running the hologram projector... perhaps the big bang simply created it that way...

I think the researchers at Southampton need to stop smoking meth, realise that Schrodinger's Cat wasn't an explanation, but a criticism of conventional quantum mechanical theory and all of its phantasmal stupidity and just find out how to tie pilot wave theory to relativity.

Every time a new theory that is either based on, or works around quantum mechanics comes out, it is a little more distanced from sense and reality than the last one and this fantasy thinking has to stop.

Why not? At least some people are thinking about something that doesn't involve money or bombs.

Again with the terrible metaphysical nonsense. No, the universe isn't a hologram - even with the fundamental quanta being the photon, it's still not a hologram. No, time isn't a dimension. No, the Big Bang isn't even a real theory. This whole thing is non-physical filler, an avoidance of real physics, and a pathetic waste of resources.

Think about it. These guys are getting paid to write fiction, while pretending it's reality. They know they're full of crap too - how could you not know, if you've studied physics for more than one day? These same clowns can't even tell you why the sky is blue or why the moon and Enceladus are so bright, but they pretend to have solid theories based on an event they've never witnessed. And they're still pretending the CMB is anything but a local charge pattern. The CMB has been falsified as a cosmic background in dozens of ways, but they still lean on it to bolster their pathetic non-theories.

I think the researchers at Southampton need to stop smoking meth, realise that Schrodinger's Cat wasn't an explanation, but a criticism of conventional quantum mechanical theory and all of its phantasmal stupidity and just find out how to tie pilot wave theory to relativity.

Every time a new theory that is either based on, or works around quantum mechanics comes out, it is a little more distanced from sense and reality than the last one and this fantasy thinking has to stop.

Precisely. Shrodinger's Cat wasn't about if the cat was alive or dead - it was about if the cat was still there at all. He was making fun of Bohr, Heisenberg, and the rest, not promoting them. Protons aren't alive or dead, electrons aren't alive or dead - they're either where they are predicted or they're not, and if they're not where they are predicted to be, that theory of prediction is false. The HUP is a farce, a complete divorce of physics and math, and there's nothing quantum or mechanical about it.

Wow, I loved all these comments from these physicists wannabes... it just made me laugh and cry at the same time - (no quantum pun intended, lol...)

However I must point out "Ockham's razor"... Friar William has a very good point "as for when all nonsense stands alone one must be it and consider it" - now, I'm not saying this is right but I'm not saying this is wrong either.

Not until proven otherwise should we pass judgement.

To all who post here prove me you are conscious for none of you will.
...And I will enjoy see you try and fail miserably!

What movie did I hear this line from?

What movie did I hear this line from?

"Its a quote from an Adam Sandler movie. Billy Madison? The one where he needs to go back to school to prove he can run his father's company when he retires."

Oh yeah! lol

They didn't find any evidence. They simply claim the CMB exists and that it somehow supports their (fake) theory. That's not evidence, that's pushing data. Data in this case which has nothing to do with the Universe, much less holographics.

The Cosmic Microwave Background has been debunked numerous times over the years as being neither Cosmic or a Background. It's simply the local charge field, as observed from the Earth. So it not only can't support their (failed) theory, but it doesn't even support its own theory. A local charge pattern tells us nothing about the rest of the Universe.

"COBE and WMAP: Signal analysis by fact or fiction?"
http://milesmathis.com/COBE.pdf

"On Hubble and the CBR"
http://milesmathis.com/hubb.html

Back