Researchers with IEEE create group to plan new Ethernet standard

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Researchers at the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) have announced the formation of a group that will be tasked with developing the next speed grade of Ethernet. The group is expected to include users and producers of systems and components for telecommunications carriers, Internet exchanges, financial markets, data centers, multiple system operators (MSOs) networking systems and high-performance computing.

Research from the IEEE 902.3 Ethernet Bandwidth Assessment report forecasts that networks will need to support capacity requirements of 1 terabit per second (Tbps) by 2015 and 10 Tbps by 2020. This is based on observations that show bandwidth associated with core networking doubles every 18 months.

The problem isn’t with home computers but with massive companies like Facebook, Google and Amazon that serve pages on the Internet. As these networks continue to experience massive growth, they will need faster networks to keep up with the increased number of users and extra bandwidth that new features will demand. If they don’t have access to more bandwidth, they won’t be able to expand or offer new services which would result in slowdowns and less innovation.

It’s unclear if 400Gbps or 1 Tbps will become the next standard. It's more feasible and economically sound to develop the slower standard but of course, those in favor of the 1 Tbps will need to argue that it is technically and economically practical to build. Chair of the IEEE John D’Ambrosia doesn’t know when a new standard will be selected but he expects the project to move along at a brisk pace.

Permalink to story.

My vote doesn't count, but I'd got for 1Tbps. A stepping stone at 400 Gbps is nice, but then it's just going to double the equipment costs getting to 1Tbps. Might as well start closer to the finish line. Then look to the next big thing.

I agree, I'd rather just pay for the better one than pay once for 400Gbps and then again for 1 Tbps.

It is not cost but time that makes upgrade selection tricky.
Would you be willing to wait longer for 1TB if you get a 400 stepping stone?

If both were available, would you take a 400 upgrade that you could do in a month or would a 6 month deploy of 1 TB be better?

It is not cost but time that makes upgrade selection tricky.
Would you be willing to wait longer for 1TB if you get a 400 stepping stone?

If both were available, would you take a 400 upgrade that you could do in a month or would a 6 month deploy of 1 TB be better?

Hmm, that's a good point. I'd probably rather wait if it would quicken the development of 1 Tbps, but if they released both and 400Gbps didn't affect the release time of 1 Tbps then I would buy both.

Back