Reset the motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put a new motherboard in a Toshiba 2405. It starts up with IDE #1 Error, the cd drive. It wont recognize the CD. I want to reset the motherboard and see if this fixes it.

Anyone know how to go about this?

Thanks
Bob

You have to check your motherboard manual (can be downloaded usually from the makers site).

But most motheboards have jumpers for resetting the BIOS. It is a three pin settup. You move it from the two it is on, to the only other possible combination of two and leave it there for 30 seconds or so, then put the jumper back (all done with the power cord unplugged of course).

If your motherboard doesn't have jumpers for this, then you need to take out the CMOS battery.

I just checked out the old motherboard and no jumpers.

Should I try to power up without cmos to reset or just wait a few minutes before plugging cmos back in?

Thanks for the help

Bob

Just wait a minute or so with the battery out. You just want to take away all power to the CMOS for a bit, so make sure it is unplugged, take out the battery for a while then stick it back in. Plug in, power up and you're done.

BIOS should be reset.

Darn, didn't work. The first time after disconect it comes same, then bad RTC check CMOS.

I'm not real sure about the sub board the CMOS connects to, it holds volume control and I have yet to get the volume working.

Could the CMOS be bad preventing the reset ?

Or any other thoughts?

Thanks
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back