reset xp home edition to factory settings how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds to me like you need to run your recovery disks and format everything back to default status. Just put in your disks and go.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

i have a windows xp home edition installation disk
ive read somewhere that there is a file that lets you restore
your OS back to factory settings but did not expain if anyone knows how to do this can you explain

in xp proffesional u just restore bfore bootup but that option was removed
from home edition and made a hidden option on installation disks

not sure if i have recovery disk i downloaded windows installation disk from
a network

ffxiplayer said:
not sure if i have recovery disk i downloaded windows installation disk from
a network

What do you mean?

If you are using a pirated copy of Windows. you won`t get any help here.

Techspot does not condone piracy.

do you mean repairing windows (setting it how it was before you updated drivers/programs etc, but leaves all your data intact ->desktop, program files, etc..), usualy used when something catastrophic comes into play, or a full reformat which wipes out everything, data included?

if its the above from the manufacturer or a legit win CD then stick it in the drive and it will do most of the work for you..

or something else??

factory settings meaning no files ive installed exactly what was given to me when i first installed it...and as ive mentioned >< windos xp home edition doesnt do this for you such as proffesional, there is something you must do before this action can take place. has anyone ever read or set home edition back to factory settings if so how and can you post it. thats all i want :(
and ive repaired it and it just keep the files and data ive installed on drive so want to wipe it and set it to factory settings i just need the steps help me out

I have the recovery CD XP Home and I agree there is not a way to reset to factory settings, it saves my settings and I need to reset, how?

Most PC's sold within the last couple of years have a recovery utility built in that allows you to revert the system back to manufacturer settings - that means wiping the drive(s) and reinstalling the default software that was included with the system.

If this is what you are trying to do, check your Start menu. For Gateway, it's called the Gateway Recovery Center. Other manufacturers will call it something similiar. You may also have the option at boot-up to start a recovery utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back