Resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
please can someone help me

i have an old crt 24" monitor its a sony i don't know the model. on my old PC i had the resolution set at 1280 by 1024 my gfx card was a radeon 9200se, everything was cool.

I recently bough a new media center pc with a 256MB ATI Radeon X1300PRO gfx card in it when i set the resolution to 1280 by 1024 i can't see my entire desktop gotta scroll the highest I can set it where I can see everything is 1024 by 768 and I really don't like this everything seems really big and my games look rubbish.

I can't understand how come my old PC with worse specs could do it but this on can't. Is there anything i can do?
thanks

Video settings

A Crt 24 inch can't be that outdated.
First right click the desktop,
Then select Propertys/Settings/advanced,
Then select Monitor and check "Hide all modes that can't be displayed."
Then Adapter/List all modes.Find a high Refresh Rate 75 is good.60 so so.
(These will work but do a restart)
Time for an LCD DVI-D with that card.:)
:)

Attachments

• Size options.jpg
    Size options.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 6
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

With the resolution set at 1280 by 1024 try using the monitors controls to set the screen size/orientation etc.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Can you remember what refresh rate your old system used compared to your new one?
It could be an unsupported refresh rate that is making your crt "zoom".

A monitor driver from sony (if they do one) may help by restricting your graphics cards output to only the rates supported by the monitor.

I had a very similar problem many years ago with a taxan monitor and a driver from them fixed my problem.

thanks
but still no joy 'hide modes' is all greyed out and won't let me select it. No matter what resolution I set it to the windows/fonts/icon's / start menu bar all stay the same size all that happens is I just end up with more left/right and up/down scroll. This can't be right can it? The buttons on the monitor don't help either as all they do is stretch the window. Could the card be faulty?

CRT's have a 4.3 ratio {4wide, 3 high}, LCD's 5.4 {5wide, 4 high}.

Ideally, it should probably be 1280 x 960, or 1600 x 1200, {4.3 aspect ratio}, not 1280 x 1024 {5.4 ratio}

i've installed the correct monitor drivers and now i can select 'hide modes' but when i go into the list every resolution/refresh rate is available. Its still just the same anything above 1024 by 768 and i can't see all my desktop.

can someone please answer me a question when you adjust the resolution should everything on the screen get smaller ie folders, icons text etc. on other pc when you change the resolution things get smaller or bigger but on my new one when i alter the resolution everything stays the same size just the left right up down screen gets larger

Read my posts

Did you do the checks i suggested ?
Your probably useing a setting the monitor won't accept.So set your video
options first to a useable full screen.You shouldn't need any on screen adjustments.
=========
Then set sizes after you decide on a useable desktop size.
Then there are ways to set your fonts.
Go to Appearance for font color and size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back