Restart "Click" noise then computer freeze up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekaonija

Hi, this has only happened to me 4 times, it did it twice in a row in both occasions.
It happens when I first boot up the computer, or when I try to adjust the computer because I get a fuzzy screen sometimes (Anyone know how to fix this as well? My monitor display will go a bit fuzzy and its really annoying to read text and when I move my desk or move the computer a tad it will become clear again if I get it just right. It doesn't become clear if I restart the computer, Its just if I move it around) Anyway so I boot it up or just try to fix the monitor and my computer makes the restart "Click" noise I hear when I restart the computer. (Not from the speakers, sounds like its inside the computer.) But It doesn't restart and then the computer freezes up.
Btw the click doesn't sound like its coming from the little speaker in the computer either that makes the BOOP! noises, it sounds like a real click like flipping on a light switch.

AMD Sempron 2200
ASUS M7vig 400
512 Mb of RAM
ATI Radeon 9250 128mb

All about 3 years old

and a brand new aoTec HP480D 480Watt power supply

Thanks ;D

OMG THAT WAS SCARY!!!
OK so I opened up my computer because I noticed the fan in the back of my power supply wasn't spinning so I went to go clean it, I did and It spins fine now. BUT when I put it all back together and started it up I kept getting "Boot disk drive error, ctrl alt delete to restart" and it just did that over and over again! Then my computer kept freezing and making that same clicking noise over and over at some times! I tried my XP disk but it would just freeze and click at me 0_o!!! Finally after 1 million attempts at restarting I got into safe mode, it loaded ;D then it froze and clicked at me some more. But Finally it just worked and now here I am...Thats the last time I ever try to clean anything T_T
What is going on!!!

It sounds as though your hard drive is failing if not already failed, the clicking is probably the heads and the platters colliding with each other.

Clicks are often hard drive failures as noted above. Backup your stuff immediately, then run some hd diagnostic tools on it.

If you go to the drive manufacturers website the chances are they have one of their own.

Seagate has its Seatools diagnostics
Maxtor has Powermax diagnostics, although now its owned by Seagate you can use the above
Fujitsu has its FJDT diagnostics
Western Digital has its Data Lifeguard diagnostics.
Hitachi has its Disk fitness test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back