Restoring "system restore" entry

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JBMAC

Under win XP Pro, I used to be able to set restore points manually by
clicking Start, Accessories, System Tools, Restore my Computer - but now find this last entry has disappeared. I can still locate system restore by using "search" and make a restore point, but would prefer the old procedure as before. Any suggestions please?

How come it disappeared? Try settings / Taskbar and start menu, customise the menu, advanced, find the system tools folder under all users (normally) and add this shortcut

%SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe

starts in %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

Or you might prefer to just plonk a shortcut on the desktop....

the normal access is via the Start Menu -> Help and Support -> Sys Admin -> Backup Files & Folders

Thanks gbhall and jobeard -
"How come it disappeared? " - wish I knew. One day it was
clearly in the menue, last night gone. I did, in fact, "dump" a shortcut on the
desktop, but will try again to replace the normal access.

The shortcut belongs here:
"%allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools"

Just copy that line to Start-->Run-->

Right click on the file C:\Windows\System32\Restore\rstrui.exe and Create a Shorcut then right click that Shortcut and Rename it to System Restore then right click it and 'cut' it.

Then click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on System Tools, click open, click paste.

Restoring Restore

Kimsland - tried your suggestion
by copying and pasting the details, only to find the surprising message:-

Windows cannot find *'C\Documents'

Weird, or what. But I can, it seems, access system restore from the shortcut I dumped onto the desktop.

Thanks Kimsland; did so, and that made System Tools available, so
I had a brainwave and dragged and dropped my desktop dumped shortcut, and
checked, Start, all Progs, Accessories, System tools - and there was the shortcut.
I think this will do me nicely!

Kimsland - tried your suggestion
by copying and pasting the details, only to find the surprising message:-

Windows cannot find *'C\Documents'

Weird, or what. But I can, it seems, access system restore from the shortcut I dumped onto the desktop.

Is that exactly what it said - should have been C:\ (did you just miss the colon)
Otherwise, as Kimsland says, any path whatever, anywhere, that contains a space, MUST be surrounded with either double-quote (") or single quote (')

Aah, sorry. I probably did miss out the colon. Always was an
impetuous youth, I'm told! System restore now shoing up in my shortcuts
so thanks for assistance to all.

Otherwise, as Kimsland says, any path whatever, anywhere, that contains a space, MUST be surrounded with either double-quote (") or single quote (')
That's not exactly correct

Windows will sometimes allow the space in the command (actually often) but Dos (that's real Dos) definately requires the quotes, or sometimes even tidal ~

There are too many examples to give of this, in Windows. I started to Google a simple one like Start->run->control desk.cpl
But it's not a good example

Anyway you get the point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back