RMA'd 2 times to MSI, strange mobo & RAM issue. Won't take more than 256mb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigilante

Sup, got a funky monkey here and need some opinions.

We built a new PC, been a couple years now; and maybe 7 months ago the customer wanted to add RAM. They had a 256mb, but I can't remember if it was PC2700 or PC3200.
Anyway, so we went to stick in a new 512mb along with it, wouldn't work. Wouldn't work by itself. Hmm, so we swapped a bunch of RAM of different speeds trying to find out what works and what doesn't. And it appeared the mobo would NOT take any more then 256mb of RAM. Not even two sticks of 256, just wouldn't go past 256mb.
So we had to send the PC back to the customer with a DDR400 256mb cause it was the ONLY stick that would POST. We waited for a time when she could be without it so we could RMA the mobo.

So then we sent the mobo to MSI to fix the problem of RAM not working, especially RAM that is more then 256mb.
Weeks later we got the mobo back, exact same issue. It would not post with anything we stuck in it except that 256 DDR400. WTH?

So we spent more time on the phone with MSI explaining the problem in detail, and RMA'd it a SECOND time.
Weeks later we get it back and have the SAME issue. ARG!!!

Called MSI for the 3rd time, they said the mobo didn't have any problems. They said check the CPU and the power supply, and for grounding problems. Whatever.

So we swapped the CPU, and the power supply, and took the mobo entirely out of the case, same problem. Reset the BIOS and it wouldn't even take the same RAM it always did! Wouldn't post at all!

Next I just now a few minutes ago, took the RAM and stuck it in the 2nd slot, and it posted again. Now it won't post with RAM in the 1st slot. This is just getting better and better. So then I tried my 512mb sticks in the 2nd slot, no post.

Every time it doesn't post, I just get one long beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

So ladies and gentlemen of TS, what the heck? MSI sent this back to us twice and did nothing, saying it works fine. But it won't post with anything except this one stick of DDR400 256mb. The other sticks are same manufacturer and speed and voltage etc... We have lots of RAM to play with. And yet it won't accept anything but this, and now apparently doesn't even accept that in slot1.
How can MSI say this is a good mobo? What other issues could be causing this?

Obviously we need to just buy a new mobo, but this has got me curious how in the world this can be this way.

ideas?

I'd love to, but they say there's nothing wrong with it!

Might have to just eat it on this one.

Now after swapping P4 CPUs around, it won't post at all again, with any stick, in any slot. Reset the BIOS again, still no good.
This has gone from bad to worse to slop to mud to microsoft.

Can't wait to try a new mobo, wish I could figure this out. Strange thing is, if it was a dead slot, well, ok, but it still gives a beep code. So then I wonder if it may be a bad BIOS and isn't detecting the RAM right?

I'll post back with the results of this situation.

How about RMA-ing it again, and ask MSI to put 512MB in it, then return it WITH that RAM still in it, which you will pay for?
I'd stop wasting time on that scurillous issue and get another mobo anyway.
If the MSI-back-from-RMA still works, sell it on eBay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back