Roaming fees to become a thing of the past in the European Union

Dave LeClair

roaming european union europe cell networks

For cell phone users in in the European Union, roaming charges while traveling across the region will soon be a thing of the past. The group of European Commissioners representing each of the 27 member nations voted in Brussels to make voice calls, texts and internet access cost the same as it would in a users' home country, according to a report from The Telegraph. Currently, the plan is to make this happen by July 2014. 

This move goes a long way towards building a single European telecoms market, which is certainly a good thing for people living in any of these countries. After all, roaming charges can be extremely expensive, and this move will help eliminate them, and make traveling with a cell phone an easier proposition for anyone in the EU. 

Officials plan to draw up and publish detailed proposals over the course of the next six weeks, which will provide us with more information on exactly how this will shake out. 

Of course, travelers from the United States and other countries who visit the European Union will still be forced to pay roaming charges. Also, residents of the EU will still pay if they should visit a country outside of the Union. 

Early estimates say wireless carriers will see an initial drop of two percent in revenue, but they should make up for it in the long run from increased mobile device usage while traveling, and the ability to attract a wider range of customers. There is also something be said for customers being happy with their carrier, which helps keep them loyal.

SIM cards image via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

Well it is good news but there will be some protests from carriers I suposse. They charge a lot and gain lots of money from it

Well it is good news but there will be some protests from carriers I suposse. They charge a lot and gain lots of money from it

I know more people who don't use theirs abroad than do, due to roaming charges.

so unified charges may actually make more revenue in the long run

When going abroad I've gotten into the habit of picking up a local SIM so I don't get ripped off by home carrier. At least I won't have to hassle with that when visiting EU countries :)

"Of course, travelers from the United States and other countries who visit the European Union will still be forced to pay roaming charges."

I don't know how many tourists/business people visit multiple EU countries in one trip, but hopefully this news means that if they pick up one local SIM card, they'll be able to use that card across the EU without having to worry about getting a new one for every country they visit.

Forgot to add:

Since this is just the 27 EU countries I'm guessing that means Switzerland, and Norway won't be included even though they're part of the European economic area (EEA).

This is some of the greatest news of all time! Last year I went on holiday, I'm on orange and I called them up and agreed I could use 10mb a day for 7 days which would be £30, that's 70mb over the whole week, I went over a few days and by the end of the week I had used 110mb, I got stung with a £350 bill! Nothing I could but pay it off, glad this is coming into place, they'll make more money out of this in the long run anyway as I'll now use my phone instead of leaving it at home in fear of getting a massive bill!

Our government also thinks for same, hope roaming may free with in no time. benefited to all. we will hope so, Jai hind

Getting a local SIM works well - - for UNLOCKED phones :sigh:

The other issue even with a local SIM, some cards are so "local" that you can't top-off the card for more minutes except in the country of origin. Got a UK sim (as we intended to stay there four weeks) and jumped the Channel to see Paris for a few days - - shock-o - - could not update it while in France.

Do your homework !!!

Back