Rocket League sets precedent as the first Xbox One / PC cross-network game

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Rocket League has officially become the first Xbox One game to support cross-platform play, allowing gamers on Microsoft’s latest console to compete directly with those playing the Steam version on the PC.

Psyonix Vice President Jeremy Dunham announced the news earlier today.

Originally released on the PC and PlayStation 4 on July 7, 2015, Rocket League didn’t make its way to the Xbox One until February 17 of this year. Since that time, Psyonix says nearly two million Xbox One gamers have completed in matches. Opening gameplay up to PC gamers, however, will greatly increase the pool of possible opponents for Xbox One gamers although only if they choose so.

With the latest patch installed, gamers will find a new setting in the options menu called Enable Cross-Network Play. Simply toggle it on or off to enable or disable cross-network play, respectively.

Cross-network play has been available to PlayStation 4 and PC players since the game’s debut.

Fable Legends was originally supposed to be the first Xbox One game to support cross-platform play with the PC but those plans were of course scrapped when Microsoft closed down developer Lionhead Studios and cancelled Fable Legends. In all honesty, Rocket League will probably make a better cross-platform title than Fable Legends would have but that’ll do little to console ticked off fans.

Permalink to story.

Sony has been allowing this since the PS2 days, but only for MMOs so far as I'm aware. I never understood why this cross-platform connectivity wasn't available for other sorts of games. Is it because of the superiority of mouse and keyboard input? That really only applies in FPS games, and I see auto-aim as a reasonable answer to the accuracy of a mouse. Heck, if it was that big of a deal they could even have enforced auto-aim for PC users while playing in cross-platform matches. Squire-Enix actually added *lag* to macros in the PC version of FFXI, which might have been the first MMO playable on both console and PC. This never seemed fair since the computer version of FFXI was running in a stripped-down PS2 emulator which had considerable lag already if you didn't have high-end hardware for the time. Of course, now that both of the major consoles *are* PCs under the hood things have been considerably simplified and the playing field is much more level.

Great. It was bad enough getting hooked up with an occasional 13-year old, foul-mouthed spammer on the PC, now we're going to get an avalanche of them with XBox users.

How is this news worthy... The only thing I take back from this is; Microsoft is lazy and couldn't be bothered to get the implementation working sooner, or they just never believed the game would be popular enough to have it on Xbone, boy were they ever wrong. All I can do now is block the cross play support and pretend like this never happened, it was already pretty bad with the PSN players getting put in your game with bad ping, long loading times or who were utterly useless all together. This just doubles the odds of that happening. Funny how there is no mention of cross platform support, IE PSN vs Xbox, does this mean you'll have either but never both in your games when playing on a PC?

Great. It was bad enough getting hooked up with an occasional 13-year old, foul-mouthed spammer on the PC, now we're going to get an avalanche of them with XBox users.

Yeah you have bad eggs. I play with friends and some of them are no PC Players at all, this is great news for gaming.

Disable VOIP, get a group you play with all the time and your problem is gone.

Back