Roundup: 6-Way, Sub-$100 Gaming Headset Battle

Steve

Staff member

roundup gaming headset battle logitech razer gigabyte kingston audio headset tesoro polk gaming headset

Although we typically focus on the graphics in blockbusters such as Crysis 3 and Battlefield 4, audio is a big part of the experience as well. This is particularly true for games such as Alien: Isolation where graphics may set the scene, but it's the unsettling audio that leads to soiled trousers.

I have long relied on desktop speakers when playing games. Now that I am a father, however, those speakers are too loud for me to enjoy the combined 500 Watts RMS of 5.1 audio. I'm stuck with gaming headsets these days but the thing is, since I've always preferred desktop speakers and a dedicated mic, I haven't spent much time or money on headsets.

Having only ever bought relatively cheap headsets with proportionally cheap audio quality, it seems about time for me to upgrade. In the process of settling on a new headset, I've acquired six sub-$100 gaming-oriented models from separate hardware manufacturers to compare in a roundup.

I have models from Kingston, Polk, Gigabyte, Razer, Logitech and Tesoro. Most of these companies are not known for their audio products, so it'll be interesting to see what they deliver. 

Read the complete review.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could there potentially be a $100+ bracket, for those looking for a higher range of options? I've been using a Razer Megalodon headset for a few years, and looking to replace it with something while also having some extras. Having controls in-line is kinda okay but the few I tried, ended up with so much crackling feedback and I picked this just as a simple headset.

I like the sub-$100 bracket just curious, what can be said for the higher price range. There's way too many general options, and finding what works best is going to be a serious bit of hunting around. I know throwing money doesn't solve things, but I want to see the best of both sides. :)

Hi Bluedrake, I went through this process a while back (1 year) and eventually settled on the Logitech G930, as I wanted my headset to be wireless & comfy.

Audio quality surely isn't unsurpassed, but it is quite good and crisp, and the G930 is not very expensive (in Belgium, that is).

Hi Bluedrake, I went through this process a while back (1 year) and eventually settled on the Logitech G930, as I wanted my headset to be wireless & comfy.

Audio quality surely isn't unsurpassed, but it is quite good and crisp, and the G930 is not very expensive (in Belgium, that is).
I had the original Razer Krakens and sold them as the microphone didn't seem that great. Always had friends complaining about the quality/volume of my voice. So I too ended up going with the G930s as I used to have RF Sony Wireless headphones and missed being able to go make a cup of tea between rounds of a game with friends and being able to hear when the game was starting. Very comfortable, considering Razer claim that the Krakens were the most comfortable I found my head under the cushioning got very warm and even sweaty with them.

Having to use USB audio is a bit of a limitation but since I haven't had a dedicated sound card since the original Creative Audigy I found it to be good, and the virtual 7.1 is pretty impressive, more so than the Razer free software implementation. Really helps out in Battlefield 4.

Having bought Speedlink Medusa's in the past, and read reviews/tried others over the years, I'm always interested in gaming headset reviews but why do you bother with the fake 7.1 - it never works so any headset should automatically be dismissed at the outset.

I'm sticking with my Pioneer SE-DRS3000C, best I've had, purchased from Audio Cubes 5 years ago...

DRS3000C_main_o_.jpg

I think a good alternative to take into account is to get "regular" headphones and then add some kind of addon or even desktop mic. Most "all in one" headsets suffer from lower audio quality than comparable (price wise) headphones. You're just paying extra for having a mic stuck on them :/.

My teenage son goes through headsets faster than a bottle of Dr. Pepper. After destroying 2 of my Logitech G35's I decided to go with Siberia V2. My son again broke his Turtle Beach and I gave him my Siberia. I purchased a Logitech G230. Unfortunately, while the sound is pretty decent, it is the most uncomfortable headset that I've ever worn. I just gave it to my son. Was thinking of getting a HyperX Cloud 2.

I'm currently running a set of Logitech G430s, and for the most part I like them. I got them for $40 since they were on sale for for 50% off. So far I must say after prolonged usage they can definitely become uncomfortable. However my biggest complaint is that using the USB sound card significantly reduces the volume, and my only other option is using onboard audio which simply isn't high enough quality and prevents you from using the surround sound features.

My G930 has never let me down, also got it for £60 reduced on amazon because it had a dent in the box. :)

Gloat over!

Back