RTX 5080 could be faster than RTX 4090 in ray tracing, top 3 Blackwell GPUs tipped to...

DragonSlayer101

Staff
Rumor mill: The launch of Nvidia's RTX 50-series graphics cards is still a long way away, but multiple leaks have already revealed some key details. A new X post from a reputable tipster now suggests that the upcoming cards could be substantially more powerful than their predecessors.

According to @XpeaGPU (via Hardware Times), it's too early to definitively answer questions about how Nvidia's next-gen graphics cards will perform, but as far as he could tell, the performance of the GB203 GPU powering the RTX 5080 will be faster than the RTX 4090's AD102 in ray tracing. In terms of rasterization, the tipster believes that the two GPUs could perform similarly.

In another post, the same tipster further claimed that the top Blackwell gaming dies could offer the biggest single-generation performance uplift in the company's history. According to the post, Nvidia designed its next-gen GPUs to fight a "monster 3nm MCM RDNA 4 flagship," and that will reflect in how well they match up to the competition.

However, the "monster MCM GPU", a.k.a. the Radeon RX 8900 XTX, was eventually canceled by AMD, so it remains to be seen how well the next-gen RDNA 5 cards will hold up against Nvidia's onslaught.

The tipster also "confirmed" that Nvidia plans to use GDDR7 memory for the top 3 Blackwell dies, suggesting that the high-end RTX 5000-series cards will come with the latest VRAM technology.

Meanwhile, earlier rumors surrounding the Blackwell GPUs suggest that the flagship GB202 powering the RTX 5090 could have twice as many cores as the cut-down GB203 that will underpin the RTX 5080. However, there's no word on whether the GB202 will use a multi-chip package.

The GB202 die is also tipped to feature a 512-bit memory interface compared to the 384-bit interface found on the flagship AD102 Ada GPU. Finally, the top-end Blackwell gaming cards are expected to ship with 28Gbps GDDR7 memory, which will be substantially faster than the 18Gbps bandwidth offered by GDDR6 and up to 21Gbps offered by GDDR6X.

Do note the aforementioned rumors are yet to be verified by other sources, so they need to be taken with a pinch of salt for now. In any case, the Blackwell GPUs are only expected to debut in late 2024 or early 2025, so a lot can still change between now and then.

Permalink to story.

No competition for Nvidia + GDDR7 and 3nm = Very steep price.

This gen Nvidia had no competition for 4090.

Next gen they won't have competition for 5090 and 5080 and probably not even 5070Ti/5070.

RDNA4 / Radeon 8000 series is going to deliver 7900XT performance at best. At lower prices and watts.

RDNA5 is 2026+

Prediction
5090 = 1999-2499 dollars
5080 = 1199-1499 dollars.

Last edited:

Next gen they won't have competition for 5090 and 5080 and probably not even 5070Ti/5070.

RDNA4 / Radeon 8000 series is going to deliver 7900XT performance at best. At lower prices and watts.

RDNA5 is 2026+

Prediction
5090 = 1999-2499 dollars
And you basis for nothing more then 7900xt performance is?

Another rumor source claimed the multi-chip was considered for 5090 but scraped. Might come in the 5000 series refresh.

Chiplets are inevitable, but likely the current trade off is not yet worth it.

And you basis for nothing more then 7900xt performance is?

RDNA4 is all about low to mid-end, its official. Just like Radeon 5000 series. AMD needs to re-gain marketshare in these markets.

RDNA5 won't launch till 2026+

Last edited:
Another rumor source claimed the multi-chip was considered for 5090 but scraped. Might come in the 5000 series refresh.

Chiplets are inevitable, but likely the current trade off is not yet worth it.

Nvidia easily dominates using monolithic.
AMDs MCM approach for GPUs kinda failed. Uses more power than Nvidia. MCM should deliver better performance per watt not worse than monolithic approach.

Lets see if AMD is going back to monolithic with 8000 series.

Last edited:
I don't even care to be honest. The prices are so crazy that I'm likely not going to upgrade for a long time.
I used to upgrade yearly but I'm not doing it anyone.
Besides the games recently have been pretty mediocre imo.

I personally don't trust anything from a human that can't write a sentence.

"People is confused"

I R confused...

nick-valente-ir-baboon-sketch-lines.jpg

RDNA5 is 2026+

Prediction
5090 = 1999-2499 dollars
5070 TI = 999$
5070 = 799$
5060 TI = 599$
5060 = 499$

RDNA5 is 2026+

Prediction
5090 = 1999-2499 dollars

Initial projections for rdna4 was 7900xtx then dropped to 7900xt and now 7900gre at $499.
If the 5080 is indeed as powerful as the 4090 in rasterization and significantly better at rt while being more efficient then the 4090 then it would be very attractive for the 4090 owners to swap out for 5080 with minimal out of pocket cost. Like you said before Nvidia is competing with itself. Competing with yourself is a double edge sword imo. You don't know whether to have significant gains to capture more revenue or stagnation and risk wrath of the second hand market.
Either way Nvidia wins and the ones holding the high end since launch win as well. Will Nvidia's 5090 be a successful hit as the 4090? At $1999 very likely at $2499 less so imo.

"RTX 5080 could be faster than RTX 4090"

And where is the news in this? on the contrary, if it was not faster it would be real news

it has been always that the top end previous generation be beat by the less top end newer generation model: 4080 was faster than the 3090 Ti in nearly all games, and the 3080 was faster than the 2080 Ti

if your prediction comes true, then, I dont want to imagine how much nvidia mid-card will cost us..
Then don't buy one. Buy what you can afford or keep what you have. If the public stop paying the outrageous prices, NVidia will not sell inventory and they will be forced to lower their prices. The only reason they can get away with this kind of price gouging is because the consumers are paying it. Stop paying and they will stop gouging.

I'm done with nVidia, I won't pay their stupid prices.
You should wait until NVidia themselves posts their price list instead of someone posting their opinions in a comment that expresses a theory that has no credibility.

RDNA5 is 2026+

Prediction
5090 = 1999-2499 dollars
I'll guarantee a $400-500 8700XT delivering > 7900XT raster, decent RTing, will outsell $1200-1500 5080 10:1.

if 80 series goes back over $1000 Nvidia are in trouble.

Nvidia easily dominates using monolithic.
AMDs MCM approach for GPUs kinda failed. Uses more power than Nvidia. MCM should deliver better performance per watt not worse than monolithic approach.

MCM is not, won't ever be and never has been about power consumption. It's about easier manufacturing and in some cases max performance if monolithic die would be too big.

Nvidia will eventually use MCM, then Nvidia sucks too.

I'll guarantee a $400-500 8700XT delivering > 7900XT raster, decent RTing, will outsell $1200-1500 5080 10:1.

Don't underestimate the Nvidia advantage in mindshare, their hype train etc. Even for ppl that are only gaming, not making use of whatever else AMD is also narrowing the gap in.
I wouldn't bet on what you've said, as much as it may make sense, when for two gens now in which AMD have never been closer too many ppl have rather paid far more for a minimal uplift over the competition all for a little bonus in fancy tricks; RT that varies widely in implementation and benefit but almost always nerfs performance by at least one step in preset or res, which needs a proprietary upscaler only differentiated from the competition via study of still images.

This is pretty much guaranteed to be the main driver for AMD 'hanging back' next gen; it's likely cost them far more than they made to regain and keep the ground they have since Vega/RDNA1 and everybody's a critic beyond reasonable context so, why bother continuing on the exact same track?
I mean, at least it didn't need for, say, Intel to come out of nowhere and beat them to review their strategy, change course etc. Might be a bad move for me, cos it's fairly likely I'll want that 8900XTX and pick it over a 5080... but it's probably the right course for AMD to be in the better of two poor positions two gens hence.

At this point we all know (though some may deny) that Nvidia are at the least most likely to raise prices again in line with Ampere to Ada for a similar perf uplift. And ppl will suck it up once again cos it's probably an easier fix than asking difficult questions or putting money where mouth is re certain current and increasing dev trends aso.

RDNA5 is 2026+

Prediction
5090 = 1999-2499 dollars

This assumes, of course, that actual irl prices (outside of mega scalp and crypto-thons) stay reasonably in line with MSRP.

But then again, I won't stop wondering how and why the 7900XTX MSRP of ~£1000 topped at £1200 for AiB cards but the 4080 MSRP of ~£1200 topped at about two grand (same site/store most of 2023) Even in the biggest sale I only saw a couple of 4080 models drop £50 under that MSRP while 7900XTX's reached £800.
There's always been something off with the pricing range of Nvidia's most premium featured AiB cards vs those of AMD. How else do you still excuse a £500+ gap between cards of the same model/tier outside of the circumstances we had in 2021? That difference makes Nvidia's vaunted but still limited advantage in RT and DLSS at least £500 between 4080's, base to premium models, and £750 against otherwise similarly performing 7900XTX's. That's the price of a whole other lower tier (1440p) card or a damn good CPU/mobo/RAM upgrade or a PC handheld! And here I thought that a £400 price range between 1080's, starting at some £200 over MSRP, was bad in late 2016. Or how my previous 6800XT was at the top of it's £1000-1200 price range in 2021 vs the 3080 10Gb's £1800-2400 (but 2021 was an extreme example for reasons we haven't been told the whole truth about)

I saw a similar though smaller example when AMD didn't have a competitor past Nvidia's midrange (Polaris vs Pascal, Vega vs Turing etc) which made some sense. But since RDNA2, when AMD have contested it's tier, if not price, peer in raster all the way to the top, the gap has opened but not for solid enough reasons. It's a different equation now, the question is how much of a premium and value do you put on somewhat better RT and upscaling, when AMD otherwise trade blows for, at that level, far less. Of course, Nvidia's recent price revision alongside the Super refresh has been nice, though a move they can afford for where it puts AMD. But I have no faith that signals a positive change in pricing going forward. The difference is AMD are damned either way, have bills to pay and nothing to gain, for lack of mindshare, interest and actual sales, in going nuts on price or trying harder for now. We're all going to end up with what we deserve, an Nvidia ruling the top tiers with £1500-2000 MSRP's, +£1000 actual real world prices and stagnated gains for that, just like we had with Intel a few years ago until...

If the prices are as folks estimate, I may just go back to console for games. (My current RTX 3080ti Strix OC, is still fine for high quality gaming, but for how long?)

There was another rumor about the next PS. If the rumor is true it will be a mighty gaming machine. MS will have to match it, so after exclusively PC gaming for the past 8 years+, due to likely prices, that alone. Then consoles may become attractive again. My last console was the 360, but ditched it for PC gaming half way through that gen live span.

Have to wait and see, but $2,000+ for GPU! Even if the 5080 is great, that's too crazy. Will need a new PC too so as to let it do it's stuff.

MCM is not, won't ever be and never has been about power consumption. It's about easier manufacturing and in some cases max performance if monolithic die would be too big.

Nvidia will eventually use MCM, then Nvidia sucks too.
MCM with higher power draw than Monolithic is not normal. Just look at Ryzen.

I know MCM is about scalability. Everyone knows that.

4090 outsold 7900XTX like 4:1 while being twice as expensive, and you think people are not paying over 1000 dollars for a GPU?

5080 will be 1199 probably. No competition at all from AMD in this bracket.

Nvidia has no reason at all to sell their cards cheaper this time, than last generation. AMD will have absolutely nothing. I will be amazed if AMD can compete with 5070.

Does it matter tho? Not really. AMD needs to re-grab marketshare. This is done in the low to mid-end segment, not the high-end segment which Nvidia already completely dominate which won't change anytime soon, if ever.

Nvidia are in trouble.
Kidding me right? 2.26 trillion market cap. Pretty much 10 times AMD at this point. AMD won't have anything to say in the high-end market from now on. Not in gaming, not in enterprise, not in AI. Nvidia dominate in all markets. To the point that they don't even to release the full chip for gaming, 4090 is 12% cutdown and still destroy AMDs best with ease.

Who cares tho, AMD is mostly about CPUs and APUs, not high-end GPUs. Like 98% of AMD GPUs present on Steam HW Survey are low to mid-end, meaning cheaper GPUs.

High-end GPU market have always been a niche market for AMD.

Last edited:
Back