Rumor Control: Nvidia Tegra to power next-gen Nintendo DS, AMD scores new Xbox contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Bright Side of News is reporting that Nvidia has landed a contract with Nintendo to power the company's next-generation DS handheld console. If true, it certainly adds substance to a bold claim made over the summer by Nvidia's CEO, Jen-Hsun Huang, when he declared that Tegra would account for as much as 50% of Nvidia's revenue in the next few years.

All of this is unofficial, but based on the timing BSN speculates that Nintendo would make use of Nvidia's next-gen Tegra chips, which are expected to debut in February 2010. The site reports that the newest DS model is slated for a late 2010 launch, and notes that it may appear at next year's Tokyo Game Show.

In somewhat related news, AMD has reportedly bagged a deal with Microsoft to power its next-generation Xbox console, according to Fudzilla. It is also said that both Microsoft and Sony are planning to keep the current console generation alive until 2012.

Permalink to story.

The Xbox news is good for me. I'm enjoying some long life out of my console and now know that there will be a killer GPU company putting a design in for the next platform. The one thing that I'm really hoping for, is that all my wireless controllers, drums, microphone, turntable, etc will move over with me to the next-gen console.

Hey, you know what Nintendo needs to make? ANOTHER DS...the lite version was a great step, and the DSi has some cool features, but if they are planning on releasing another one as soon as 2010, then I am definitely deterred from considering buying anything from them right now. I won't compare them to the PSPs path, but I was never intrigued by it in the first place. I will say however that I am very interested to see what the Tegra can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back