Rumor: Sandy Bridge-E shipping without a heatsink and fan

Jos

Staff

Intel's new LGA2011 processors, known as Sandy Bridge-E, are due for release later this year with the upcoming Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition, Core i7-3930K and Core i7-3820. The first two are six-core parts and like other Extreme Edition and K series processors they will have an unlocked multiplier, giving enthusiasts more flexibility with overclocking.

All three are expected to have the same 130W TDP as current high end desktop parts, and according to VR-Zone, that figure rises to something more like 180W when the chips are pushed -- without even overclocking them. Apparently Intel is telling power supply makers to verify that "their Sandy Bridge-E PSUs can cope with a peak current of 23A on the 12V2 rail and [be] based on an 80-percent or better efficiency rating of the PSU."

The site is also reporting that Intel has taken the unusual decision of shipping them without a reference cooler. Besides cutting down on expenses, the thinking is that the move will affect just a small subset of users, considering Sandy Bridge-E is targeted at enthusiasts and most of them will install third party cooling solutions. Intel would still be selling its own coolers for the LGA2011 socket, but you’ll have to buy these separately from the processors.

In terms of pricing Intel will reportedly keep the same price points it has since the introduction of Nehalem in late 2008. That means the Core i7-3820, i7-3930K and i7-3960X will be introduced at the same price as the Core i7-960, i7-980 and i7-990X. The initial lineup with their respective specs should look something like this:

Model i7-3820 i7-3930K i7-3960X
Cores/Thread Count 4/8 6/12 6/12
Frequency 3.6GHz 3.2GHz 3.3GHz
Max Turbo 3.9GHz 3.8GHz 3.9GHz
L3 Cache 10MB 12MB 15MB
Unlocked Multiplier No Yes Yes
Price $294 $583 $999

Permalink to story.

"... the thinking is that the move will affect just a small subset of users, considering Sandy Bridge-E is targeted at enthusiasts and most of them will install third party cooling solutions."

Makes sense. I have a closet full of stock coolers gathering dust because I always use a 3rd party cooler on my CPU's.

Yeah, I'd say this only affects the stupid "have too much money" people who buy the most expensive anything just because they can but don't quite understand it all. Everyone else who will buy these will use an aftermarket cooler.

"Sandy Bridge-E is targeted at enthusiasts and most of them will install third party cooling solutions" No... ALL of them will be installing 3rd party fan & heatsink.

This was funny.... 'Besides cutting down on expenses' and then 'In terms of pricing Intel will reportedly keep the same price points'

So leaving out the 'cooling solution' only cuts down on costs for Intel, not the customer.

Sorry if I sound sick of Intel (and I just bought a 2500k), but throw this in with the new socket every processor revision and the slew of ridiculous code names and you've got a company that seems to go out of their way to sound pretentious.

Burty117, there are plenty of reasons to have one of these processors. Just because you don't need one does not mean they are stupid. Not everyone has a PC just for web browsing or gaming.

I thought it was only guests that were allowed to post close minded and retarded comments?

lol, @Burty117, I miss read your post. Apparently in this case it is only guests that make retarded posts :p

I meant as in of all the people who buy it, so say 95% who buy this proccessor are you and me, we know what an after market cooler is and we know what the proccessor is capable of and since we've just bought one we obviously have a need for it.

My orginal post was about the 5% of people (such as lady GaGa or Justin Bieber) who have way too much money and just buy the most expensive everything. They will buy this and find no cooling solution but turn the computer on anyway, because the motherboard they bought was also over priced and designed for the extreme overclocking Enthusist it has a default setting to not shut the computer down if the proccessor hits a certain degree and BOOM! Justin bieber's head blows off...

They where the kind of people I was talking about :)

Yeah I think this is Intel just stickin' it to the consumer. Up until now, you had OEM (no fan or cute packing) and Retail (fan plus pretty box). OEM's you saved a few dollars, not a whole lot, but you saved.

Intel wants to push OEM products and charge retail pricing, lame.......

Anyone with sense did not buy retail Intel CPUs for the cooler (though a nice option of you were not going to clock right away), they bought it for the 3 year warranty, which is usually about as much time before most people would want to upgrade again.

OEM = 1 year warranty
Retail = 3 year warranty

Not bad for an extra ten or fifteen quid.

Im on a 2500k at the moment, I bought retail for that fact alone.

dividebyzero said:
Yup, almost as lame as dreamers commenting on a product they'll never buy- unless it's third-hand on eBay in 2016.

It is lame... It's lame to sell something that requires an additional purchase when it's not the norm. What if your next cell phone came without a battery because it's for enthusiasts and they all buy 3rd party extended batteries anyway, right?

And I personally hate it when I see a price on a webpage and find out that the price is bogus because of taxes, fees, shipping costs, or missing parts. It's bait and switch.

It is lame... It's lame to sell something that requires an additional purchase when it's not the norm.
...er, thats the whole point. People who buy enthusiast CPU's for enthusiast boards don't use stock coolers.
Why would you buy a CPU whose main attraction is overclocking to sit it under a stock heatsink that doesn't allow for overclocking ?
What if your next cell phone came without a battery because it's for enthusiasts and they all buy 3rd party extended batteries anyway, right?
What if ?
On the other hand, I'd hazard a guess and say the number of people who purchase a $999 desktop CPU and use a third party cooler approaches 100%*. Can you say the same about a phone battery?
And I personally hate it when I see a price on a webpage and find out that the price is bogus because of taxes, fees, shipping costs, or missing parts. It's bait and switch.
How is Intel responsible how much tax, fees or shipping you pay from an etailer ?
Bait-and-switch refers to substituting or misrepresenting the product. FYI -in case you hadn't realised- Sandy Bridge-E hasn't been released AND you are being informed of its possible retail package 3 months prior to it's launch
Sounds like BS. OEM and Retail parts are different SKU's. Tray prices are fixed by Intel (OEM) and are easily accessible through Intel ARK.

Personally I'm quite happy that Intel aren't sucking up resources (mainly copper) on something that goes instantly into a recycle bin.

Lame reasoning
Lame argument

BTW: A better trained troll would have had a good wail about having to buy four instead of two memory modules, the uselessness of a chipset that supports 3 or 4 graphics cards, and the lack of need for 6/8/10 CPU cores.

*Check any tech forum

dividebyzero said:
Yeah...[generic retread theme] lame.......
Yup, almost as lame as dreamers commenting on a product they'll never buy- unless it's third-hand on eBay in 2016.

You assume too much sir. Sub 300 dollar cpus fall under the "for dreamers only" ? Really?

You got me, I don't normally spend over $300 for a cpu for myself. I don't normally get a hard-on either for overclocking. My i7-2600 is just fine for my needs. Sub 300 dollar cpu, just like the lower tiered proc in this article. Should still come with what is an industry standard.

Maybe milwaukiee's cell phone analogy was off a bit. What Intel is doing is selling a BMW with no tires, forcing the consumer to buy them to drive. You certainly wouldn't be happy about that would you?

When it comes down to it, they are offering a product, minus a part that is required for it to operate, which is against common practice up to this point. Intel should give us the option(with price cut), I like options, otherwise I would be a Apple customer.

The response to this is amazing! Everybody spends their time badmouthing Intel OEM HSFs, and now are proceeding to badmouth Intel for not supplying them...:rolleyes:

Well hell, all the "experts" at Newegg, can't even get them attached, and when they do, they feel obligated to write several paragraphs about their own prowess.

The only argument that made a teensy tiny bit of sense was the perceived warranty issue between boxed retail and OEM. That's sort of crying before you're hurt.

It could come to pass the Intel offers a "boxed retail" version of these CPUs anyway, a longer warranty coming with a higher priced "boxed retail" version.

Or Intel could cut their losses against the uber clocking set, and go with 1 year, and you're on your own. Over volt away, knock yourself out. Sort of like old football players getting short contracts.

Humm due for release later this year? There's only 3 and a half months left. I hope this brings down Sandy Bridge K prices.

Humm due for release later this year? There's only 3 and a half months left. I hope this brings down Sandy Bridge K prices.

I'd be surprised if the release of the E series had any impact on the K series pricing. The 2600K is really a bargain considering the performance it offers, think it more likely that the current K series will have an adverse effect on the sale of the extreme processors.

The only argument that made a teensy tiny bit of sense was the perceived warranty issue between boxed retail and OEM. That's sort of crying before you're hurt.
Unfortunately Jose forgot to include this salient point from the VR-Zone article...
The upcoming Core i7 processor from Intel, the 3820, 3930K and the 3960X will all ship without a cooler in the box. That said, Intel has decided to offer own brand coolers for the platform, it's just that they won't come in the box with the CPU
That tends to imply that the SKU's will still be prefixed BX (where applicable), and that the three year warranty applies- just that the box will only include the CPU and the "manual"
...It could come to pass the Intel offers a "boxed retail" version of these CPUs anyway, a longer warranty coming with a higher priced "boxed retail" version.
Yup. Business as usual. Buy a tray CPU for a one year warranty, pay a few bucks more for some packaging and a three year warranty. If you were being pedantic, you could also query the availability of tray/OEM CPU's for the retail channel. Anyone seen an OEM version of Gulftown (990X) or Sandy Bridge 2500K/2600K for sale at Newegg?
Or Intel could cut their losses against the uber clocking set, and go with 1 year, and you're on your own. Over volt away, knock yourself out. Sort of like old football players getting short contracts.
Dan Snyder approves- although to fit that analogy, you would have to refuse Newegg's price, give them 50-100% more than retail...then force them to accept a performance bonus it the system actually booted.
November tends to fall before New Years Eve.
As for the second part of your conundrum. Don't bank on it. The top SKU's of the mainstream CPU line usually overlap the bottom SKU's of the enthusiast CPU line in the same price segment ( see Core i7 870 for LGA 1156 and Core i7 920 for LGA 1366 as example, or 2600K vs. Core i7 930/950 )
You assume too much sir. Sub 300 dollar cpus fall under the "for dreamers only" ? Really?
Bit of a comprehension fail ? Let me rephrase: "An enthusiast ( one who is very likely to overclock in order to gain full performance from their newly acquired performance CPU and performance chipset board) is very unlikely to be bemoaning the loss of a $5-10 underachieving stock, bifurcated (mostly) aluminium HSF, which they will all certainly not be using in their system build"
Now. If you feel that even a significant minority of people who would buy an overclocking-orientated CPU in the $300 price bracket (say 2600K as opposed to non-overclocking 2600) and use the stock cooler then I'd be interested to see how you come to this conclusion. You might also note that while the 3820 quad-core is multiplier locked, the X79 chipset allows for overclocking via baseclock in much the same way as X58.

Back