Run Windows apps on Mac and Linux with CrossOver 15, now under $20

TS Dealmaster

Staff member

Windows, Mac and Linux all have their own unique strengths, but picking the benefits of one over another can be tough. CrossOver 15 lets you run Windows programs seamlessly on Mac and Linux giving you the best of two operating systems on one platform. For a limited time, you can get CrossOver 15 for Mac or Linux on sale for only $19.99.

CrossOver is based on Wine, an open-source Windows compatibility layer. Developer CodeWeavers modifies the Wine source code, applies compatibility patches, adds configuration tools that are more user-friendly, automated installation scripts, and provides technical support.

CrossOver 15 brings operating systems together with zero hassle. Normally retailing for $59.95 and $39.95 respectively, CrossOver 15’s Linux and Mac versions are currently on sale for $19.99.

Image credit: Howtoforge

Permalink to story.

Agreed! Granted its under the category Techspot deals, but still its a sandbox / virtual app like the industry standard vmware & parallels!

You are right, Wine is a compatibility layer/wrapper, so "natively" is simply incorrect. The title has been fixed now.

As for the store, we promote deals and do get a cut from sales, there is no shame in that.

I was going to make a sarcastic suggestion that the site be renamed from TECHSPOT to TRUMPSPOT ..... but that would be rude, so I won't say it!

I question the seamlessness of all these types of programs. If it really were that 'seamless' or easy why are they not more well known and widely used? Why the bother with picking one OS over another if you can get such a program that works so well at running other programs meant for other OSes?

Sheeze!

Been using Crossover for years to allow (in my case) PC applications to be installed on a Mac. The application installer is invoked by Crossover and when it's done, the application (usually) runs as intended. If you're interested in the technology, google for Wine emulator and/or Wine bottle.

Yeah GUYS, remember to spit down wind!

Just install every OS you need, they start so fast now that you can switch between them in 10 seconds.
I get what your saying... but it isn't quite 10 seconds, and you have to close out all your apps that you are working in with Windows and Linux. What we really need is a client side VM host built into the motherboard firmware so we can run multiple OS's simultaneously and quickly switch between them. I can only imagine the amount of work to make this work but it would be sweet if we had this ability.

Stuff like this looks great when it comes time to jump ship from MS. It should also only get better

Back