Rust creator reveals that almost 330,000 copies have been refunded on Steam

midian182

Staff member

Steam refunds are great for users. They allow us to buy games safe in the knowledge that if our hardware isn’t up to scratch, or we simply don’t like something, it can be returned. To give an idea of just how many players ask for their money back, Rust creator Garry Newman has reported some figures on Twitter. His multiplayer survival title has been refunded 329,970 times.

The creator of Gmod also revealed that since Rust hit early access in December 2013, its number of refunds total over $4.3 million. The most commonly given reason for requesting a refund is that the game is “not fun,” followed by “bad performance,” which Newman says is “pretty fair” considering that it’s not the easiest game to learn.

Around 5.5 million people own Rust, which means the refunds equate to around 6 percent of total game sales. According to other developers, this figure is in line with many Steam titles, and it often goes higher during sales.

Valve’s recently launched Steam Support stats page shows there have been 214,126 total refund requests submitted in the last 24 hours, which is likely due to the current Summer Sale.

Newman says that despite the high figures, Rust wouldn’t have sold as well without the refund system in place, as it allows buyers a safety net. “I put that down to people using the refund system as a demo,” Newman told PCGameN. “I think in the long run, people knowing the refund system is there probably gained us more sales than it lost us.”

In an effort to be more open, Newman wants to open a section on the Facepunch Studios website that displays all the sales statistics.

Permalink to story.

"His multiplayer survival title has been refunded 329,970 times".
Now that's unique when you consider it probably only sold about 250,000 copies.

I'm definitely going to get my gaming group to download this game again as it looks like they've changed a ton since 2013. Its really going to suck to learn the new map though :(

That woudlve required him to read past the title.

Ontopic: Refunds are good. If not pub. stunt, good on him. Openness is always welcome, especially whent it comes to the topic of Early Access Games.
True but that would be torture considering it's nothing I'd have the slightest bit of interest in. That's where skimming comes in and... it doesn't always work.

"Where Refunds Apply - The Steam refund offer, within two weeks of purchase and with less than two hours of playtime, applies to games and software applications on the Steam store. Here is an overview of how refunds work with other types of purchases."

If this is true then it's a none issue for developers. It's not like people are buying the game, playing it for extended periods of time and then getting a refund, effectively stealing the game.

That woudlve required him to read past the title.

Ontopic: Refunds are good. If not pub. stunt, good on him. Openness is always welcome, especially whent it comes to the topic of Early Access Games.
True but that would be torture considering it's nothing I'd have the slightest bit of interest in. That's where skimming comes in and... it doesn't always work.

If it's something you don't have a slightest bit of interest in, why bother commenting? SMH...

The refund system also allows the person to direct potential anger at the refund, and not in a review. Thus is seen as even better for both developer and customer.

If it's something you don't have a slightest bit of interest in, why bother commenting? SMH...
Just a wild guess, but I'd say maybe it was because everything else in the news section was of less interest.

That said, IMHO, what people should be reading is this article: https://qz.com/1013882/ubers-rental...push-drivers-toward-shady-subprime-contracts/ which was linked in the "Weekend Tech Reading" blog.

Uber lovers take note, it tells you exactly what an underhanded, shady, and sh!tty business Uber has become. (or possibly always was).

But no, you'd rather run on, giving your "very important opinion", (hereafter "VIO"), about some crappy, inane, meaningless, game.

Back