Ryzen 7000 series CPUs to feature RDNA 2 iGPU clocked at 1.1GHz

jsilva

Rumor mill: Up until now, the only Ryzen desktops products featuring iGPUs were the G-series chips, but expect that to change with the release of Zen 4 desktop processors later this year. For now, details are still scarce, but rumors and leaks have already started to paint a good picture of them.

By now, you should already know AMD plans to release the first Zen 4-based processors during the second half of 2022. We suspect these will include the Ryzen 7000 desktop series chips, said to feature RDNA2 iGPUs, but up until now, AMD hasn't yet confirmed that.

However, there have been rumors about the specifications of these iGPUs. The latest one claims they will feature 2x workgroup processors (WGPs)/4x computation units (CUs) clocked at 1100MHz, but the leaker, Komachi Ensaka, points out this is just a guess. Still, if proven true, we assume it will have 256x stream processors (64x stream processors per CU).

Besides the leaker claims, the AMD SMU 13.0.5 driver also mentions a GPU clock of 1100MHz. However, this could be related to an engineering sample, meaning we may end up with faster iGPUs.

Based on these specifications, the Ryzen 7000 series iGPU would offer a theoretical performance of over 0.55TFLOPs, a considerable improvement over the Vega-based solutions. Compared to other iGPU solutions of today, that's about a third of the Steam Deck graphics performance, delivered by an RDNA2 graphics unit with 8CUs clocked up to 1.6GHz.

Despite its performance, the iGPU of the Ryzen 7000 series will primarily be used as a display engine for basic tasks, but imagine what a few more cores would do. That's what we expect from the Ryzen 7000 mobile chips, expected to feature up to 16x CUs.

Ryzen 7000 series are coming out later this year--AMD says during the second half of 2022. Based on the 5nm process node, the new processors will use the new LGA1718/AM5 socket, parting ways from the PGA design of the AM4 socket. In addition, the new platform will support PCIe 5.0 connectivity and DDR5 memory.

Permalink to story.

I'm glad that finally people are starting to use the steam deck as a point of reference: other than Linux adoption for gaming the other positive impact is more people realizing yes, you can game on integrated graphics just fine if you temper your expectations to 720p/1080p

It's not the best experience but it's way better than paying scalper prices for gpus or buying used and unsupported products (like the 570) or defective ones (like the 6500 xt) instead of just making due with modest settings on an APU only rig.

This will make Ryzen much more appealing for workstation users. A big advantage Intel has in the office environment is that almost all their SKUs have an iGPU which is sufficient for office use. IT depts find it much easier to support APUs over a bunch of systems with CPUs + GPUs.

For us enthusiasts all this offers is a way of troubleshooting. If you get a black screen or artefacts in Windows now you can try plugging into the iGPU and seeing if you get the same thing. Its also handy if you need to RMA a videocard or if your videocard goes pop.

This wont be good for gaming and I really hope it doesnt get judged on this by reviewers. It would be like seeing how good a smart car is at racing, its just not built for it. APUs today are still not viable for gaming. Well unless youre blind and you are happy with 720p 30fps with stutters.

I'm glad that finally people are starting to use the steam deck as a point of reference: other than Linux adoption for gaming the other positive impact is more people realizing yes, you can game on integrated graphics just fine if you temper your expectations to 720p/1080p

It's not the best experience but it's way better than paying scalper prices for gpus or buying used and unsupported products (like the 570) or defective ones (like the 6500 xt) instead of just making due with modest settings on an APU only rig.
Technically the PS5 and its Xbox counterpart are APU's as well. I'm still hoping AMD is going to realize that they have all the pieces in their hands to start making APU's that are powerful enough to serve like 80% of PC gamers.

Take Zen 4 and RDNA3, combine them into an APU. Stick some infinity cache on there, maybe a second tier of it as well in the form of HBM. Use the DDR5 bandwidth and make an APU that can do 2560x1440 60fps high springs or higher frame rates on 1080p for the competitive people. Intel is yet to proof they can do this (although they should be able to). Nvidia can't unless it's arm based so suddenly AMD would be in a position to grab a massive chunk of market share. Those that want 4k, 4k high FPS or even 8k can pay the big bucks to NVIDIA or AMD for the other small portion of the market.

And best of all, miners wouldn't be interested as having a CPU with every GPU makes for poor mining power efficiency.

Technically the PS5 and its Xbox counterpart are APU's as well. I'm still hoping AMD is going to realize that they have alk the pieces in their hands to start making APU's that are powerful enough to serve like 80% of PC gamers.

Take Zen 4 and RDNA3, combine them into an APU. Stick some infinity cache on there. Use the DDR5 bandwidth and make an APU that can do 2560x1440 60fps high or higher on 1080p for the competitive people. Intel is yet to proof they can do this (although they should be able to). Nvidia can't unless it's arm based so suddenly AMD would be in a position to grab a massive chunk of market share. Those that want 4k, 4k high FPS or even 8k can pay the big bucks to NVIDIA or AMD for the other small portion of the market
I've been waiting for them to do that for a long time but I think they might have some sort of non-compete agreement with either Microsoft or Sony (Or maybe even both)

Technically the PS5 and its Xbox counterpart are APU's as well. I'm still hoping AMD is going to realize that they have all the pieces in their hands to start making APU's that are powerful enough to serve like 80% of PC gamers.

Take Zen 4 and RDNA3, combine them into an APU. Stick some infinity cache on there, maybe a second tier of it as well in the form of HBM. Use the DDR5 bandwidth and make an APU that can do 2560x1440 60fps high springs or higher frame rates on 1080p for the competitive people. Intel is yet to proof they can do this (although they should be able to). Nvidia can't unless it's arm based so suddenly AMD would be in a position to grab a massive chunk of market share. Those that want 4k, 4k high FPS or even 8k can pay the big bucks to NVIDIA or AMD for the other small portion of the market.

And best of all, miners wouldn't be interested as having a CPU with every GPU makes for poor mining power efficiency.

I mean with the Nvidia Shield (Nintendo Switch ) , Apple M1 , Flagship Arm SOC , APUs, IGPUs etc +GPUs, CPUs
With all the innovation happening at the moment with fast access memory AND and this is a big and 3nM , 4nm, 5nm boards from foundries etc soon if 4 years we will have solutions that will run 1080p games buttery smooth - maybe no full on RTX - maybe 1440 some games 60fps , 4k some games 30fps .
Eventually your TV , your flagship Fire & Roku etc will be enough - this is why Google and Microsoft need to get their acts together
So 4 tiers - Phones: cheapSOC PCs, Roku etc : PS6, XB2 : ultra powerful PCS .
So the rise of "mobile" gaming will accelerate as they will look great output HDR etc and nearly everyone earning an OK wage can afford one . There will still be a huge Ultra/Console market as these games will become more immersive ( RT speaking to NPCs ) and AI NPCs will also be the difference -Mobile games always connected will become smarter , Plus companies will become good at condensing AI from server 1 million GPUs farm level to custom small GPU chips -

The problem with that is AMD would make far more money selling seperate CPUs and GPUs (We have seen how much GPUs sell for these days). Sony and MS get a good APU because order in bulk. But unless AMD happen to stop being interested in making profit we are unlikely to see a gaming capable APU from them directly. They would rather sell you the GPU component on a PCB with fans and dedicated VRAM as a GPU.

But every now and then you do see them appear in the east;

I think that low spec igpu is g series to cater corporate desktop market.
Rdna2 is designed for tsmc 6/7nm while ryzen 7000 cpu is 5nm, so that gpu is likely to be implemented in io die.

This will make Ryzen much more appealing for workstation users. A big advantage Intel has in the office environment is that almost all their SKUs have an iGPU which is sufficient for office use. IT depts find it much easier to support APUs over a bunch of systems with CPUs + GPUs.

For us enthusiasts all this offers is a way of troubleshooting. If you get a black screen or artefacts in Windows now you can try plugging into the iGPU and seeing if you get the same thing. Its also handy if you need to RMA a videocard or if your videocard goes pop.

This wont be good for gaming and I really hope it doesnt get judged on this by reviewers. It would be like seeing how good a smart car is at racing, its just not built for it. APUs today are still not viable for gaming. Well unless youre blind and you are happy with 720p 30fps with stutters.
Amd could have done it simply by putting low spec Vega into io die as those igpu use case only needs 300 gflops spec

Last edited:

Amd prefers to use that production capacity to make chiplets for server processor which provides best profit per transistor than any cpu or gpu type

I've been waiting for them to do that for a long time but I think they might have some sort of non-compete agreement with either Microsoft or Sony (Or maybe even both)
Or nvidia arm processor with GeForce igpu because Qualcomm's Windows arm exclusivity is ending soon

Or nvidia arm processor with GeForce igpu because Qualcomm's Windows arm exclusivity is ending soon

I remember way back in the 2000s era I had Nvidia integrated graphics but that had the integrated chip I think as either part of the north or south bridge in the motherboard and not in the actual CPU, Nforce motherboards which were Geforce 2 mx integrated on em.

Performance was ok for the times too iirc

Bah... don't care about the iGPU as discrete will be the way to go for me... I want to know when the next Threadripper comes out :)
You and me both... I want a new Threadripper! My 2950X is due for an upgrade now that mainstream processors have the same core account. Maybe 64 cores this around? Hopefully!

The problem with that is AMD would make far more money selling seperate CPUs and GPUs (We have seen how much GPUs sell for these days). Sony and MS get a good APU because order in bulk. But unless AMD happen to stop being interested in making profit we are unlikely to see a gaming capable APU from them directly. They would rather sell you the GPU component on a PCB with fans and dedicated VRAM as a GPU.

But every now and then you do see them appear in the east;

Would they though? A large part of the massive profits seems to be going to the middleman. And imagine creating a market Nvidia simply cannot enter, at least not for quite some time. They'd somehow have to get an x86 license or emulate it rather efficiently.
Not like the low end cards make much profit to begin with supposedly the rx6500 xt with all of its flaws is barely making a profit. Even for AMD itself selling high performance APUs to cover most of the market might be more profitable rather than trying to serve the 1080p market with dedicated graphics cards.

In the long run the brand recognition, mind share would definitely be worth it. Perhaps they're saving this step for when they can afford it because the only problem I see with this plan is that they need to be able to reserve a truck load of wafers. Nvidia and Intel can simply prevent them from doing this by flexing their 'financial horsepower' (as Intel would put it) and buy out nearly all available capacity. So I guess the other big part for this to work is that they'd need to make this work on Samsung's nodes at decent yields. As it seems like Qualcomm and NVIDIA want to move away from Samsung to TSMC and Intel wants in on those sweet sweet TSMC fabs as well

Last edited:
AMD has done this solely for OEMs.
If the GPU market was any different I'd be inclined to agree with you. For people who don't game and need the raw compute power of their higher-end ryzen chips while on a budget, this makes them very appealing. The iGPU is powerful enough to power desktop applications(not games) at 4k 60. You can't even get low end GPUs right now for a basic display adapter unless you want to get something like a GT710 or 730. I've been using used ebay cards on my servers just as a basic VGA display but basically none of them have HDMI. I bought a lot of 10 GT 710's on ebay for $80 and I'm really wishing I went AMD. I'm considering swapping them out for AMD 6450's because of Linux drivers. currently looking at a lot of 8 on ebay for $68. Keep in mind I only need them to run a terminal or, at worst, a 1366X768 GUI. SSH only goes so far when you're running used desktop hardware as home servers.

Back