S T U T T E R I N G media

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero99

hi .. i had a problem where if i tried to play a audio file it just sat there. cant remember if video was the same .. but i gave up & re-installed win98se. I thought the audio problem seemed to be cured .. (i dont use spkrs on my pc) so i just viewed the progress bar & assuned it was now ok!!
About a week later i put my h-phones on & found that when playing either AUDIO or VIDEO they
s-t-u-t-t-e-r quite anoyingly! I can get round the audio prob by using either winamp .. or nero editor .. but theres no hope for the video problem.
This means i cant just double click anymore on a media file. Ive configured the MP3 files to play on Ultraplayer .. (which is just another player i have) & it works a bit quicker than winamp. So that gets me round the audio .. but no matter what video player i use its still the same when i play a video file. I presume my pc is using the same set up for video .. unlike the audio. Tonite ive just tried I-view media player .. & its the same .. but the i-view audio player works ok for mp3!!!
Nothing has changed as far as the main gubbins of the pc. I did add a video card earlier this year .. but it was working ok .. as i bought this card for transfering videos to a external dvd recorder .. & it has been working ok.
any ideas ? ive tried uninstalling/re-installing the win media .. i dont really want to flash the drive & start again. help .. russ

You dont give your systems specs, but symptoms sounds to me like a system with a slow processor and low memory or low on resources when multitaksing. If this is the case, then a processor and or memory upgrade might solve the problem. other than that it could be that you dont have the correct Codecs installed, try checking techspot downloads for a codec pack.

hi .. thanks for your reply .. i really appreciate any help regarding a FIX for the pc .. would save having to reinstall the OS !!!
what i dont understand is that i have XP installed on another drive & i dont get the problem??? it amazes me constantly that after about 3-4mnths i have to reinstall everything again. Something seems to fail .. normally after a lock up or crash!
I have re-installed the windows codecs & also installed the media player v9-10 with the same results .. ( i prefer player v6.4 as u can have lots running at the same time).
Anyhow .. i couldnt find my password & my ISP has changed so i had to sign up again .. i was in a hurry & havnt yet filled in all my details.
a quik overview :

Operating System Microsoft Windows 98 SE ... or XP service pack2
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1750 MHz (13 x 135) 2100+
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8375 ProSavageDDR KM266
System Memory 512 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
Video Adapter RADEON 7000 SERIES
3D Accelerator ATI RV100 DDR
Audio Adapter Creative SB0350 Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card
IDE Controller VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8480B (48x/16x/48x CD-RW)

i think thats about it .. ok ill check the things u mentioned.
Thanks russ.

Hi russ.
your system specs are adequate for what you are doing. but it is still just a Little bit last century (no insult meant, been dying to crack that one). yeah win 2000/xp will perform 10,000 times stabler and better than 98se. generally some media apps do so much that they consume a lot of system resources and thats when you will get stutter breakdown, lockups etc..

dont forget to pay good attention to basic maintainance, regular defrag, diskcheck, antivirus/spyware, internet cache cleaning etc.. and your system should not need reinstalling every few months.

ive been away from the pc today but i did get 5mins to have a look. I also remembered how this all came about. 3-4 weeks ago i bought a ZEN mp3 player. When i installed the nesc software it messed up my pc !!! I had NO audio at all. I took it back & got it refunded & got a iriver from another store .. which is much more pc friendly .. not to say i didnt like the zen.
Thats how this came about. Oh another thing .. ive also shifted a 2100++ processor from another pc into this computor .. but the fault still remains. Also when i tried the Zen on my XP drive it removed the CD ROM ... so i had a day re-installing win xp as well as the audio fault on my 98SE drive !!
I think the only answer is to get another h disk & inst 98 on that & use this disk just for data.
ok enough .. thanks for your help but its just one of those mystery things.
Dont like XP at all .. see my other post.
oh yeah .. 1 last Question.
if XP is so brilliant how come so many are having problems ?

What are your processor temps like? I can't remember but the Athlon XPs might throttle down when they get too hot. If you just took that processor from another computer maybe you didn't get proper thermal paste application on the processor.

They sure do loose performance when running hot and dont seem to cache data fast enough to keep up when playing media and games.

as for so many problems with xp! well there will always be problems with OS's and everything else.

you just got unlucky with your hardware and software combo when it threw your cdrom out, probably badly writen driver software caused conflict, I used to get that with certain combinations of hardware, sometimes a simple restart would cure because windows redetects at startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back