Sabrent Plotripper SSDs are designed for Chia farmers, feature up to insane 54,000 TBW...

jsilva

Forward-looking: Sabrent is about to launch the Plotripper SSD series to meet the plotting needs of the most demanding Chia farmers. The series will consist of two models capable of withstanding up to 54,000 TBW (Terabytes Written), the standard Plotripper SSD and the Plotripper Pro.

You may have heard of the novel Chia blockchain which is based on a "proof of space and time" model, where farmers create plots and save them on a storage device. For plotting, it's recommended to use fast storage solutions such as PCIe SSDs, but it's also important to consider its endurance due to the amount of data it moves inside the device.

With this in mind, Sabrent announced the Plotripper series of high-endurance SSDs. There are still a few details missing about these, but for now, we know there will be a 2TB Plotripper SSD and a 1TB and a 2TB Plotripper Pro SSD.

The read and write speeds haven't been listed yet, but the rated endurance of each model is already known. The 2TB Plotripper SSD is the less withstanding of the trio, while still sporting a 10,000 TBW endurance.

Then with the Plotripper Pro, the endurance rating is pushed to a whole different level, with the 1TB model coming with a 27,000 TBW and the 2TB model a whopping 54,000 TBW. That's considerably higher than TeamGroup's T-Create Expert SSDs.

Whether you choose the standard model or the Pro variant, you certainly won't ruin your drive in 80 or 160 days. For that to happen, considering that the creation of a plot executes a 1.3TB workload, you would have to make 259 plots a day.

To put that into perspective, the fastest plot creation that we are aware of was "in just under 4 hours," so six plots a day without using parallel plotting is already mighty fast.

Permalink to story.

So that crap called Bitcoin, which destroyed the gamers GPU market, and sucks everything out of electrical grids wasn't bad enough. This new one also takes care of fast SSD-s.

Thanks for letting us know. Looking forward to SSD-s hitting the scalpers market also. Funny time we're living in, backed up by funny money.

I think it is coming up to the time for a couple of some really sarcastic parodies... like a crypto based on 'proof of enlightenment' or 'proof of retention'.. I mean Dogecoin did not do the job intended.

Tired of missing the boat on things like this, I've just invented watercoin. It works by storing water in balloons. The more water balloons you have, the greater the reward when it becomes convertible. TS readers - you're in on the ground floor, so get busy. You can thank me later.

Manufacturers with products like this only prove that they on purpose deliver crap SSDs to the market to cut the cost as much as possible and users data be damned. Constantly investing into worse and worse NAND types like QLC and PLC, even if TLC is borderline useless in many write intensive applications.

Suddenly you can buy at reasonable prices SSDs which are basically indestructible under normal operation - 54000 TBW.

Tired of missing the boat on things like this, I've just invented watercoin. It works by storing water in balloons. The more water balloons you have, the greater the reward when it becomes convertible. TS readers - you're in on the ground floor, so get busy. You can thank me later.
Storage is available in the 'water-closet'.

Manufacturers with products like this only prove that they on purpose deliver crap SSDs to the market to cut the cost as much as possible and users data be damned. Constantly investing into worse and worse NAND types like QLC and PLC, even if TLC is borderline useless in many write intensive applications.

Suddenly you can buy at reasonable prices SSDs which are basically indestructible under normal operation - 54000 TBW.

Oh Really?

My Samsung 850 Pros's are still on the original 10 year warranty

You go buy the Sabrent's along with everyone else and see what happens when the warranty expires in a couple years

This looks more like a fast cash grab by making promises they cannot deliver and likely will not cover under their warranty

Do they guarantee free replacement + shipping costs for any drives not hitting 54,000TB within 10 years ?
(Do they guarantee those out of warranty up to 54,000 TB ?)

Surviving even a 10 year warranty is not hard to do if you only write 10TB in that time

Back it up with a 10 year warranty that guarantee's 54,000 TB correctly written within that period of time, or 54,000 TB for ANY period of time

10 years and 54,000 TB warranty, or go tell your lies somewhere else

Last edited:
So that crap called Bitcoin, which destroyed the gamers GPU market, and sucks everything out of electrical grids wasn't bad enough. This new one also takes care of fast SSD-s.

Thanks for letting us know. Looking forward to SSD-s hitting the scalpers market also. Funny time we're living in, backed up by funny money.
The funny money is what's coming out of the Fed at a basically infinite rate, but keep spouting deliberate and contradictory misinformation again.

Chiacoin is an interesting proof of concept, as a low-energy alternative to POW coins, but I really wish it had a practical service to go along with it. Someone needs to marry it with the decentralized cloud storage of Storj or Filecoin and make it more practical for home users just trying to make use of spare storage drives, as well as provide a productive service. I'm not sure if that's on their roadmap.

I hope Chiacoin lights a fire under SSD manufacturers to turn out increasingly reliable and resilient products globally.

Oh Really?

My Samsung 850 Pros's are still on the original 10 year warranty

You go buy the Sabrent's along with everyone else and see what happens when the warranty expires in a couple years

This looks more like a fast cash grab by making promises they cannot deliver and likely will not cover under their warranty

Do they guarantee free replacement + shipping costs for any drives not hitting 54,000TB within 10 years ?
(Do they guarantee those out of warranty up to 54,000 TB ?)

Surviving even a 10 year warranty is not hard to do if you only write 10TB in that time

Back it up with a 10 year warranty that guarantee's 54,000 TB correctly written within that period of time, or 54,000 TB for ANY period of time

10 years and 54,000 TB warranty, or go tell your lies somewhere else

If anything, samsung is a case in point, as they dropped the warranty period from 10 years to 5 with their 860 pro series.

If anything, samsung is a case in point, as they dropped the warranty period from 10 years to 5 with their 860 pro series.

Yeah, I just beat that one by a couple of weeks .... one of the few great buy's I had ....

Ignorant blablabla

This is literally just a 8TB QLC SSD in pSLC mode. There were already drives in the market which behaved like this until you exceeded 2TB of capacity.

These Chia drives just have horrible price/GB, because they're essentially sacrificing 6TB of silicon for more reliability, which is not a good tradeoff for 99% of users.

I need GPU, CPU and SSD in my computer. Also, I need CPU and GPU in my smartphone. But what I really don't need at all is the owner-spying front camera on my phone. Also known as selfie-camera. My phone has that camera only because it's impossible to buy a smartphone without it.

So, would someone please make crypto that somehow uses selfie camera for mining? Then I can leave it mining until it smokes the camera. Two benefits:

1. You earn coins.
2. The front camera is dead (oh no, such a tragedy...)

When mining ASICs came out around 2013 mining Bitcoin transitioned from GPU's to application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC) miners. Bitcoin hasn't been mined with GPUs in a long time. Also Chia doesn't need fast storage it just needs a lot of it. Right now smaller SSDs and HDD at or smaller than 4TB haven't been affected.

Back