Safe-to-delete files in C:\Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

URANium238

Just wondering which folders are safe to delete, because I'm really running low on space on my c drive (only 8gb for system and some programs) and my Windows folder takes up like half of it. I know the NtUninst folders are update data (which can be used to uninstall them), but I don't I'll be uninstalling any of those. Is it vital to the system, or can I delete them without harm?

Windows shouldn't really be 4GB.. Use a program called SequoiaView to see where exactly the disk space goes.

You can delete the uninstall folders no problem. You can also clear the dllcache and the temp folder.

Naming the ones I'm concerned about:

\windows\$hfmig$\ -170 mb
\windows\fonts\ -120 mb (double-u-tee-ef?)
\windows\ime\ -90 mb
\windows\installer\ -270 mb
\windows\registeredpackages\ -80 mb
\windows\softwaredistribution\ -820 mb !!! (what is it anyway?)

oh, btw great program (sequoia)

just delete all the fonts you don't want in the ...\fonts folder, this should be perfectly safe, just make sure your current visual style and open programs aren't using any of the ones marked for deletion

CCleaner can be of great aid in opening up HD space - I used it right after I re-formatted my hard drive and installed my programs and it opened up gigs of space on my pc! Give that a shot if you like.

-pat

URANium238 said:
Naming the ones I'm concerned about:

\windows\$hfmig$\ -170 mb
\windows\fonts\ -120 mb (double-u-tee-ef?)
\windows\ime\ -90 mb
\windows\installer\ -270 mb
\windows\registeredpackages\ -80 mb
\windows\softwaredistribution\ -820 mb !!! (what is it anyway?)

oh, btw great program (sequoia)
hfmig - leftovers from SP install, delete
fonts - pretty obvious.. double-check with some program other than Windows Explorer in case there's some malware hiding there.
ime - input methods a la left-to-right, japanese, etc. uninstall these from control panel regional settings
installer - installation files for installed programs. you wan tto keep these
registered.. - i think you can remove these..
softwaredistr.. - this is Windows Update, feel free to wipe it - everything will be restored next time you visit the webpage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back