Sales People

Daveskater

Hi everyone :)

I was in an electrical store earlier (Comet for you UK guys) and i could hear one of the assistant people trying to get this family to buy a laptop, whist casually looking at the printers. He was saying that they do a "laptop starter pack" which includes half price norton (which they recommend :eek:), a 1gb flash drive and some other stuff for £60, he then says something like the flash drive is worth £50 anyway, which it obviously isn't, mine cost about £6 :D

It was one of those laptops that they have on offer for a bank holiday weekend but they had some left over. It was just so hard not going up to them and saying look, this laptop won't run vista and that sales guy is trying to sell you things you don't need and lying through his teeth ;)

Anywho, i just thought i'd share this experience and see what people have to say :D

Thanks for reading

Comet AND Currys are full of 'supreme hand lovers' like that!
There's one guy in my local Currys, he must have worked then for 10 years now, he grins like a flippin cheshire cat all the time and i avoid him like the plague.....cos he's a tosser! They really do not know what the hell they're talking about most of the time. Bunch of nuggets!

These stores are ridiculous, I tried to buy a £30 Printer in Curry's and was asked 'Do you have a cable.' Surely the printer comes with the cable in the box, but NO.

I'm forced to fork out £10 for a freakin cable, although they did graciously ask if i wanted to pay an extra £5 for a Belkin one that was a couple of metres longer. How decent of them.

Something I find ironic though, is on the PC World adverts, where they're talking about Intel Core 2 Quad processors, most of the people watching haven't a cluewhat they're on on about!

halo71 said:
Somehow I do believe that I have lost something in the translation! lol

I would be only to pleased to translate it for you mate. However, It would have to be via pm`s, since it wouldn`t be suitable for an open thread lol.

Regards Howard :)

heh....well I can imagine what they mean. But "supreme hand lovers", "tosser" and "bunch of nuggets". :D

although they did graciously ask if i wanted to pay an extra £5 for a Belkin one that was a couple of metres longer. How decent of them.

Thanks for the laugh!

Halo, I think I got the "nuggets", but not the other ones.

nice to see this thread's taken off :D

i couldn't bring myself to work in a shop like that because they're just interested in sales and they have stuff like the laptop i saw that probably wasn't up to spec for vista and if you know what you're talking about when it comes to pc's then how could you bring yourself to sell a toshiba laptop with 512mb ram? i used to have 512mb and vista on its own would use way more than half of that. you'd have to say "look, you don't want that, you want the HP one :D i know it's expensive but it's worth it"

do they really make you buy the cables separately? i was thinking about getting a printer from comet or curry's.digital (i still call it dixons though haha) but i won't get a cable from there, a good site for cables and other bits is cableuniverse.com, failing that just try ebay :D

i buy 2m usb printer cables from a local pc shop. £2 each. Its a printer it doesn't need gold contacted usb cables at £15.. :)

I refuse to patronize Circuit City. The sales people there are on you like white on rice the moment you walk in the door! I got tired of telling them to bugger off so now I go to Best Buy if I need to purchase electronics from a store. Stupid (literally in most cases) comissioned sales people!

it's crazy what some people will do to get paid, even if they don't know a thing about pc's then they'll push a sale until you're at the checkout, at which point you know they're figuring out how much commission they're getting for that sale

nickslick74 said:
I refuse to patronize Circuit City. The sales people there are on you like white on rice the moment you walk in the door! I got tired of telling them to bugger off so now I go to Best Buy if I need to purchase electronics from a store. Stupid (literally in most cases) comissioned sales people!

I feel the same way about BestBuy too. I now do some shopping at officemax since I have some friends that work there.

I believe 'nuggets' is a Battlestar Galactica term for 'rookie' or 'newbie' In this context it probably means morons or eve 'supeme hand lovers.

I remember I went to BestBuy along time ago, this guy wanted to buy a cheap videocard so he could have 2 monitors hooked up and the employee guy said to buy a 8800GTX :haha:

of course, 8800 gtx's are so cheap we all have them :D haha he just wants his commission

i think i might have said this before but it really is amazing what people will do for money

it would be good to have some wouldn't it :D i just realised that i get paid next week and still have quite a bit of my pay from this month left because i've been trying to save for driving lessons ;) usually i'd be pretty much broke by now haha

this isn't exactly to do with sales people but i saw a set of speakers in my local currys.digital the other day that had "windows vista compatible" written on them, which goes to show the extent of the vista compatibility issue, if there's a set of speakers out there that don't work with vista or any os, i haven't seen them yet :D

oh yeah, bump as well ;)

Lol, OMG! vista compatible speakers!!!
The day an OS is fussy over 3mm phono jack compatibility speakers, well thats the day we should be dusting off the ZX Spectrums!

that's what i thought! i should have taken a picture or something haha

at the time i just thought "what the... vista speakers???" i'll see if they still have some next time i go into the shop :D

vista compatible speakers indeed...

Some People Need Constant Reassuring........

I borrowed this little gem from Raybay, (who borrowed it from George Carlin):

Think of how stupid the average person is,
and realize half of them are stupider than that.

- - - - George Carlin

I think it illustrates the "Zen" principle of retail marketing wherein the customer, the salesman, and the marketing execs. are all one........big imbecile. Still I would sleep way "more better" knowing that my speakers were Vista compatible, save for the fact that now I don't know if they'll work with XP.

that's a pretty good quote :D

you make another good point too though, it should say "vista compatible, plus it'll still work with xp" on them shouldn't it? ;)

Why It's Practically Fool Proof........

You have to almost sympathize with manufacturers. I said ALMOST. Just when they think that fool proof is sufficient, the next generation of sales people and customers come along to necessitate raising the design standard to ***** proof.

"Supreme Hand Lover", is that anything on the order of "endlessly self dating"?

captaincranky said:
"Supreme Hand Lover", is that anything on the order of "endlessly self dating"?

You're on the right track, yes! :D

Lol, Self-dating.....with the five finger sisters! :evil:

Back