Samsung admits tablet failures, introduces Galaxy Note 10.1-inch

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Despite an increased presence in multiple electronics categories as of late, Samsung has openly admitted to a poor showing in the tablet market. During a media roundtable meeting at Mobile World Congress, Samsung product strategy executive Hankil Yoon told reporters that his company wasn’t doing very well in the tablet market.

As noted by CNET, the admission from Yoon is refreshing in a world where marketing hype and corporate speak dominate the landscape. Yet even without the statement, it’s no secret that Samsung has failed to make a noticeable splash when it comes to tablets; an industry currently dominated by Apple and Amazon.

Samsung isn’t throwing in the towel, however, as they have introduced the Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet at MWC. Billed as a version of the Galaxy Tab 2, the Korean giant is seemingly hoping to piggyback on the success of the Note branding.

As the name suggests, the Note 10.1 includes a 1280 x 800 pixel 10.1-inch PLS TFT display powered by a 1.4GHz dual-core Exynos processor running Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Other features include a 3MP rear camera, 2MP front shooter and front-facing speakers that channel audio directly at the user.

But perhaps the most interesting aspect of the Note 10.1 is the inclusion of an S Pen stylus similar to the one found on Samsung’s Note smartphone. Many questioned why it was included with the phone as, even at 5.3 inches, it’s still not really large enough for proper stylus use.

Look for the Note 10.1 to be available in Wi-Fi only and AT&T-compatible HSPA+ models in the second quarter of this year starting around $600.

Permalink to story.

Looks pretty cool, now I can have an e-reader and a notebook in the same device.

What took them to admit something which has been obvious for so long? Anyway I am not sold on android based tablets, if someone really want to buy a tablet (for whatever reasons) they are better off with the one which is named after a certain women's accessory.

Galaxy Note 10.1 will fail again. Whoever leads the tablet department must understand and come up with the new innovation.

have these feature included then will sell.
- Use Quad core instead of dual core
- Include USB connection so it can interconnect with PC
- Include HDMI connection
- Have projector to watch movie
- Volume and customizable button on the side
- Adapter to have LAN connection and tablet to tablet connection
(so people can exchange files/etc, big feature missing from ipad and all other tablets).

Make it happen.

I have an Android tablet and I love it. I also have an Iphone4. I use both. Ive found the Android tablet allows me to customize my experience. Its useful for having slide show pictures as my background or useing a live background for the cool effects. My Iphone is limited much as an Ipad is limited. Not alot of customization allowed.
Ive seen and held the Note. Im a big guy so its not overly large in my hands. Kinda fits nicely. Now all that has to happen is a dock port of some kind to merge the note and the tablet and they have a winner in my book!!

Back