Samsung Galaxy S II sells over 5 million units in three months

Emil

Samsung has announced that it has sold more than 5 million units of its Galaxy S II smartphone. This milestone is still in advance of the US launch, which is slated for later this month. The device is coming to 120 countries on over 140 mobile operators, so this number is expected to keep growing, and quickly.

Last month, Samsung sold 3 million Galaxy S II units in 55 days. Two months ago, the device saw 3 million preorders, 200,000 of which were in the company's home country of South Korea.

The Galaxy S II first arrived in South Korea on April 29, 2011. The following month, it was released in other Asian and European countries, including Japan and the UK. Last week, the smartphone debuted in China.

Samsung's long-term, worldwide ambitions for the Galaxy S II are relatively modest: 10 million units in all of 2011, which is the number it sold of the original Galaxy S in 2010. At this rate though, the company will break that number very quickly.

The Galaxy S II runs Android 2.3 (codenamed Gingerbread) and features a dual-core 1.2GHz processor. It is the first handset to offer Samsung's Super AMOLED Plus screen technology (4.27-inch display, 800x480 resolution), and is the company's thinnest phone at 8.49mm, with a weight of just 116g. The device also features an 8MP primary camera with 1080p video capture, and a 2MP camera in the front, as well as integrated NFC support on some versions. It also has BlueTooth 3.0+HS and HSPA+ connectivity.

The device's new Live Panel allows you to aggregate web, social networking, and app content to a single customizable home screen. You'll be able to switch between three adjacent home screens by simply pressing and holding on the screen. The phone will come with four new content and entertainment hubs: music, games, e-reading, and social networking.

Permalink to story.

Ahhh yes. Plenty of new phones coming out with the latest and greatest hardware, yet no software to take advantage of any of it the way it should. The sad part is, people just go along with it. "Android? GingerBREAD?! DUAL CORE?!? YEESSSS!"

Back to the topic of the phone, I'd hit it.

Well the truth is there are indeed already tons of applications for Android and there will be even more once this one and the Motorola Bionic land within a month. High horsepower devices like these aren't for everyone. However, it's nice to see advancement moving forward and better devices coming out. The Iphone5 will also be coming but astoundingly it's not supposed to be an LTE/4G phone, which shocks me.

DarkCobra said:
Well the truth is there are indeed already tons of applications for Android and there will be even more once this one and the Motorola Bionic land within a month. High horsepower devices like these aren't for everyone. However, it's nice to see advancement moving forward and better devices coming out. The Iphone5 will also be coming but astoundingly it's not supposed to be an LTE/4G phone, which shocks me.

Advancement is fantastic, but it's a waste of hardware. These phones seems to barely have the hardware used for even the most basic of tasks.

DarkCobra said:
The Iphone5 will also be coming but astoundingly it's not supposed to be an LTE/4G phone, which shocks me.

Wow really? This may sound like a conspiracy theory, but one thing Jobs really enjoys is the battery life out of the iPhones (Which is slowly becoming nothing special) and 4G would have a pretty major negative impact on that compardd to 3G.

If you buy the phone with android on it, can you later switch the os to that new microsoft mango os?

I was thinking either that or the Droid 3, and bought the Droid 3 because my hands are way too big for a touch screen keyboard. =( So the keyboard for me is required. This phone does look all kinds of sexy though.

Guest said:
If you buy the phone with android on it, can you later switch the os to that new microsoft mango os?

They're not like computers. You can't really just install any OS you want. I mean YOU CAN but some stuff is involved and after that stuff is done, there is no guarantee that the new OS will run well...it may not even run natively, might be emulated. XDA developers is the place you'll want to go to learn all of this. Keep in mind, it'll only be on certain phones that you can do this since it is all community developed.

I don't know if someone else have bumped into this, but anyone planning to buy this cellphone may want to have a look at this gsmarena article. Basically they have confirmed that there are some issues with the display at low brightness settings.

Back