1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung Galaxy S6 will reportedly get a larger display with a higher resolution

By Shawn Knight ยท 15 replies
Dec 5, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. The next iteration in Samsung's Galaxy line of smartphones will feature a larger display with a higher resolution compared to the current Galaxy S5.

Read more

2. "Samsung had high hopes for the Galaxy S5 but ultimately sold about 40 percent fewer handsets than anticipated."

I'm no expert, but after I saw the specs, I knew they wouldn't sell that many; there is almost no difference between the S5 and the previous model, the S4.

kissx likes this.
  3. Can you say LG G3 with a large meg-pix camera

LG has put serious hurt on Sammy this round, looks like they will "copy-cat" it for the win?

4. Isn't that what Samsung is good for? I cant remember the last time they made something themselves from scratch.

5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 7,903   +2,840

For heavens sake. Don't they already have a phablet with a screen that size. Haven't they yet figured it out that a lot of people just want a high end/high performance phone with a decent sized screen and not some unwieldy goddamned monstrosity.

6. After seeing those spec's I would still rather have the Galaxy Alpha.

7. infiltrator

infiltrator TS Booster Posts: 159   +26

In the end, its all about money....

8. Frank Barnett

Frank Barnett TS Rookie Posts: 61   +6

What a shocker. Another week goes by and there is a new phone announced from Samsung. Sales are down 60% on the s4. Just maybe the everybody on the planet has a cell phone and does not need to upgrade every month.

9. emmzo

emmzo TS Booster Posts: 136   +33

Optimize it to run smoother, remove bloatware, get a boost in battery life. Or at least, change the design like HTC did, Samsung phones were ugly for so long it has become a trademark.

10. SirGCal

SirGCal TS Maniac Posts: 365   +136

I'm still in a contract from my new then S4 and now the S6 is already announced? Seriously, slow down and do some real upgrades. Although I do like the S5's waterproofing system for sure. My parents have S5's and... ehhh.. On a screen that small 1080 is plenty, I'd rather them work on better batterys and faster/sharper cameras IMHO.

11. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Addict Posts: 280   +89

Wait for it.....

12. slamscaper

slamscaper TS Booster Posts: 182   +34

Sooner or later they're gonna have to stop increasing the size right? A 5.5 inch screen on their flagship seems more than excessive. I don't understand this "upgrade."

13. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 1,107   +602

Same story as usual. Bigger screen with higher resolution, both are unnecessary. Performance will be about the same, a tad bit faster. Nothing to talk about. I can imagine people buying this because they want to have the latest phone, specs don't matter to them. If I had S3 I wouldn't even consider upgrade since the performance looks the same to me.

14. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar Elite Techno Geek Posts: 6,515   +974

If the S6 has a 5.5" screen that what will the note 5 have xD. If Samsung dumps TouchWiz it would be an amazing phone.

15. Ladies! Believe me, Samsung doesn't always get it right, but if screen size didn't sell, they wouldn't be increasing it.
    I personally know a few people who are just waiting for their contracts to finish so that they can get either this S6 or even a Note 4. So size does matter for a bunch of people! :p

16. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Evangelist Posts: 560   +59

If you remember a similar spec list came out for the Galaxy S5 all ended up been utter tosh.