Samsung sells 5 million Galaxy S smartphones

Emil

Staff

Samsung has announced that it has sold more than 5 million Galaxy S smartphone handsets since the series' launch in June, according to Reuters. Korea Newswire meanwhile specifies that number includes more than 2 million units in the US and more than 1 million units in Korea.

The Galaxy S is Samsung's best-selling smartphone model; Samsung aims to sell another 5 million Galaxy S handsets in the current quarter. The Android device is available on all major US carriers; though on each it sports a slightly different name (but the Galaxy S moniker is present on each) and set of features. All of them still boast a 4-inch AMOLED touch screen display, 1Ghz Cortex A8 Hummingbird processor, 5-megapixel camera with LED flash and 720p video capture, six-axis sensor for gaming, up to 16GB of internal storage, Bluetooth, GPS, and Wi-Fi.

Samsung, the world's number two phone maker and number four smartphone maker, has a real winner with the Galaxy S. A close friend of mine has the device, and it's definitely one of the best phones I've seen. Its screen alone makes it worth the money. As we emphasize in our latest Buying Guide, however, competition is heating up. Even the Galaxy S is going to be outdated in a few quarters.

Permalink to story.

Ahhh yes, 5,000,000 Galaxy S variants and EACH and EVERY one of them has major problems with GPS reception and it still hasn't been fixed. At this point, I wonder, can it be fixed by drivers? Otherwise it's a beautiful phone. But SAMOLED screen and .45nm Hummingbird and SGX 540 GPU don't matter if it's got one major flaw. At least for me anyways. I have a chance of purchasing one this month but I'm sticking to my HTC Desire because I can do a lot more with that phone and it doesn't have any specific flaws that I know of.

Jibberish18 said:
Ahhh yes, 5,000,000 Galaxy S variants and EACH and EVERY one of them has major problems with GPS reception and it still hasn't been fixed. At this point, I wonder, can it be fixed by drivers? Otherwise it's a beautiful phone. But SAMOLED screen and .45nm Hummingbird and SGX 540 GPU don't matter if it's got one major flaw. At least for me anyways. I have a chance of purchasing one this month but I'm sticking to my HTC Desire because I can do a lot more with that phone and it doesn't have any specific flaws that I know of.
That's true, my friend does seem to be experiencing issues with the GPS.

Editor, I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly, but the article states that "All of them still boast a 4-inch AMOLED touch screen display, 1Ghz Cortex A8 Hummingbird processor, 5-megapixel camera with LED flash" I'm currently using Captivate and mine doesn't have LED Flash sadly :(, just want to make sure I'm either reading this correctly and I missed something on my phone lol.

Jibberish18 said:

I've actually had this same issue, but noticed when I use google maps to pull up an address and when I select the option for navigation it surprisingly works, but when trying to allow the phone to use location with GPS it doesn't work...Weird.

as an avid fan of apple's iphone i never reconsidered to buy an android smartphone but after trying the samsung galaxy s and seeing the amazing image quality thank's to the amoled technology and the menu's navigation and the size of the screen, i'm definitely thinking of giving it a try!

Back