Samsung sues Russian brand ambassador for $1.6 million after she was caught using an iPhone...

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: Famous brand ambassadors are expected to show their love for a company’s products in public. Celebrities are paid well to promote and market various brands, so the one thing they should never do is get caught using a rival’s device. Just ask Russian reality TV host, journalist, and politician Ksenia Sobchak, who is being sued by Samsung for $1.6 million after using an iPhone X on live television.

The socialite, who is contractually obliged to use a Samsung handset in public, was caught on camera using an iPhone X during a television interview. She tried to hide the handset from the cameras using a piece of paper, but many viewers recognized the device.

The Mirror reports that in addition to this public faux pas, Sobchak has been seen at a number of high-profile social events and other TV appearances using her own iPhone. As a result, Samsung is reportedly now suing her for 108 million rubles (around $1.6 million) for breaking the terms of the contract.

It’s not known if that amount is what Sobchak was paid to be Samsung’s ambassador. In all likelihood, her fee was lower, and the lawsuit includes fines for her actions.

There have been other incidents of celebrities using iPhones when they meant to be endorsing Android brands. The most recent of these was Wonder Woman star and Huawei brand ambassador Gal Gadot, who tweeted her love for the Mate 10 Pro using an iPhone.

Permalink to story.

I mean.........this is silly but how hard is it to use a samsung? especially if you're being paid to do it lol. I have the s9+. the phone is extremely "bloated" but after using a package disabler it's a very nice device. it's still nice beforehand I just don't want that trash on my phone.

maybe it's just me but how can you tell it's an iphone from the video? I see no apple logo. I see no notch at the top. maybe if this video were in better quality than 360p resolution with probably 300 bitrate we could actually have a case here. WHAT YEAR IS IT?!

"your honor I have all the evidence right here!" "omg lets see it what is it?!" "bro its a shitty 1995 360p 300 bitrate video bro check it out!"

get the fudruckin hell out of here man. jesus christ. I understand this probably isn't the FULL video and there's more evidence, but I'm simply shown a clip here and it's not my responsibility to find the entire video and watch it. this video CLIP is nowhere near compelling evidence lol

$1.6 million dollars because you couldn't resist using an iPhone. Clearly this person has an abstract value attached to the use of their phone. That or they just aren't smart.

Companies are paying celebs big bucks to use their phones implying there's people who will buy a phone because a celebrity has it not knowing that they're paid to do it. Imagine that.

People use the rival's product when they're expressly forbidden for the same reason men cheat on their super-model wives; boredom. No matter how good something is, even if it's the best there is, eventually it becomes boring and some people can't resist the urge to try something new. :)

I mean.........this is silly but how hard is it to use a samsung? especially if you're being paid to do it lol. I have the s9+. the phone is extremely "bloated" but after using a package disabler it's a very nice device. it's still nice beforehand I just don't want that trash on my phone.

maybe it's just me but how can you tell it's an iphone from the video? I see no apple logo. I see no notch at the top. maybe if this video were in better quality than 360p resolution with probably 300 bitrate we could actually have a case here. WHAT YEAR IS IT?!

"your honor I have all the evidence right here!" "omg lets see it what is it?!" "bro its a shitty 1995 360p 300 bitrate video bro check it out!"

get the fudruckin hell out of here man. jesus christ. I understand this probably isn't the FULL video and there's more evidence, but I'm simply shown a clip here and it's not my responsibility to find the entire video and watch it. this video CLIP is nowhere near compelling evidence lol

This is not the issue. The issue is that she was being paid to advertise a product and support it. People should support products they actually like and use. Not support for monetary gains.

This destroyes the value of true ambassadors that belive in the product and hopefully makes brands think harder when selecting proper candidates!

Back