Samsung's record quarter: $8.3 billion profit, 63 million phones sold

Jos

Staff

Samsung has announced its fifth consecutive record-breaking quarter driven by strong sales of Galaxy devices, improving chip prices and increased demand for smartphone displays. The South Korean company's operating profit rose a whopping 89 percent to 8.8 trillion won ($8.3 billion), on revenue of 56 trillion won ($52.87 billion) during the three months ended December.

Samsung sold about 62 million handsets in the quarter, compared with Apple’s 45 million, according to estimates reported by Bloomberg. Shipments of the flagship Galaxy S III made up for about 15 million of those sales while the Galaxy Note II added another 8 million. Some 35 other phone variants adjusted to regional and consumer tastes pushed the overall shipments figure to record heights.

By comparison, Apple introduced just a single new smartphone last year globally, although the company also sells older generation iPhones alongside the flagship model to compete in other price brackets. Taiwan's HTC released 18 handset models, Nokia released nine and LG Electronics introduced 24.

Samsung is expected to increase its smartphone sales by more than a third this year to somewhere between 290 million and 320 million units depending on who you ask. A good chunk of that will likely come from the S III sucessor. Details on the Galaxy S IV are sparse at the moment, but rumors point to a high resolution display with 440 ppi as well as a 13MP rear camera and the latest Exynos 5 processor.

Permalink to story.

Good job. Now get rid of Touchwiz and put the SG IV into a non plastic casing and drop the pricing a bit.

So funny that a foreign company with 100% foreign profits and foreign assembly and foreign parts is loved so much by the Apple Haters. they criticize apple's profits but then they see this Samsung's numbers and don't flinch at all. Crazies.

So funny that a foreign company with 100% foreign profits and foreign assembly and foreign parts is loved so much by the Apple Haters. they criticize apple's profits but then they see this Samsung's numbers and don't flinch at all. Crazies.

Maybe its because samsung dont bring out overpriced Proprietary based hardware, claim they invented the wheel and sue anyone with the audacity to put round corners on their phones. And has nothing at all to do with geographical location at all?

@ fimbles

Samsung has the EXACT same goals, business plan, aspirations, and business ethics behind the scenes. If they "could" charge more they would but the market doesn't allow it. If they could sue they would since its their duty to maximize any business opportunity on behalf of shareholders in the details of the share holder policy. Apple hating is just a fad that will fade as soon as something else becomes "cooler" for you young kids to hate.

And has nothing at all to do with geographical location at all?

Hey, maybe Guest is patriotic :p

"Buy Apple because the profits and company are based in the same country as you".

I'll never understand that, I live in the UK but would never buy a British car xD

@ Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor,

Not patriotic, I am not from the US. in fact just switched from iPhone 4 to Galaxy 2 X. Just objectively looking at the situation from apple haters in the US.

I love my iPad and I love my Galaxy note 2. I have a foot in both camps. I guess that makes me the ultimate traitor.

Samsung is giving the consuming public what they want. Unlike Apple who gives the public what Apple thinks they want. Apple has been lagging behind this past year on features. Look at the differences in the flagship phones of the two companies. Samsung has continued to innovate where Apple is giving the same craptastic device/OS that they have been ramming down ppls throats for the past 4 years. Im not a Apple fanboy nor am I a Hater. I have both Apple and Android. I only say this to point out that I see this from both sides of the fence. Apple will need to revolutionize thier entire Iphone setup if they wish to garner the same profits that Samsung does. Until then Samsung will continue to outpace Apple simply because of innovation alone.

Hey, maybe Guest is patriotic :p

"Buy Apple because the profits and company are based in the same country as you".

I'll never understand that, I live in the UK but would never buy a British car xD

Are there even any british cars left for us to buy?

It's not that Apple is all that different from other companies, it's just that they screw you over and try so hard to make you feel good about it.
They charge $100 for an extra 16GB in a device and refuse to include an SD card. For a long time their iPods didn?t include radios so you would have to get your music from iTunes. You can't even plug an ipad into a PC and get the pictures off it without Apple's software.

The entire Apple culture is one of pulling a customer into its clutches and then giving them the same thing others have had later and charging them more. Why didn't they have 4G until the iPhone 5? Maybe because Siri was a big enough upgrade to the 4 and they could add it to the 5 and have another release. Why no 'retina' screen on the iPad mini even though the ipad and iphone 5 have one? Because they can sell another batch of minis later. Why release a newer new ipad right after the 'new' ipad 3 with the lightning connector and NOT sell an adaptor to make accessories work? Who knows? maybe the iPhone 6 will support widgets.

The lawsuits are probably the biggest reason. Suing Samsung for its tablet's height/width ratio of 1.3?!! That's the ratio of an 8.5/11in sheet of paper! Not exactly Apple's design.

Then there's the cost. I honestly wanted to get my wife an ipad mini this year for Christmas, but $330 when the competition is at $200?! I'm not paying for the logo, which many people do, as evidenced by the many cases out there that have holes in the back so the logo can show through.

Apple makes great stuff for what it is... a big proprietary system that's great if you only want to live in the little box they've created. But it's the allegory of the cave. If you're in that box, Apple tells you how great everything is, that it's ok to spend this extra money on the next big thing... again, and that you have the best gadget available. We?re outside the cave enjoying the world in color.

We don't hate Apple, we're just annoyed that people can't see through their BS.

I'm loyal to no one. I like the old Robert De Niro line from the Movie HEAT "Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat." That goes for Apple, Sony, Samsung , LG, Microsoft, Linux, Ford, Toyota, Hyundai, Honda, etc. as if they are loyal to me. People debate silly ... ish. Smart phones for not so smart people.

It's not that Apple is all that different from other companies, it's just that they screw you over and try so hard to make you feel good about it.
They charge $100 for an extra 16GB in a device and refuse to include an SD card. For a long time their iPods didn?t include radios so you would have to get your music from iTunes. You can't even plug an ipad into a PC and get the pictures off it without Apple's software.

The entire Apple culture is one of pulling a customer into its clutches and then giving them the same thing others have had later and charging them more. Why didn't they have 4G until the iPhone 5? Maybe because Siri was a big enough upgrade to the 4 and they could add it to the 5 and have another release. Why no 'retina' screen on the iPad mini even though the ipad and iphone 5 have one? Because they can sell another batch of minis later. Why release a newer new ipad right after the 'new' ipad 3 with the lightning connector and NOT sell an adaptor to make accessories work? Who knows? maybe the iPhone 6 will support widgets.

The lawsuits are probably the biggest reason. Suing Samsung for its tablet's height/width ratio of 1.3?!! That's the ratio of an 8.5/11in sheet of paper! Not exactly Apple's design.

Then there's the cost. I honestly wanted to get my wife an ipad mini this year for Christmas, but $330 when the competition is at $200?! I'm not paying for the logo, which many people do, as evidenced by the many cases out there that have holes in the back so the logo can show through.

Apple makes great stuff for what it is... a big proprietary system that's great if you only want to live in the little box they've created. But it's the allegory of the cave. If you're in that box, Apple tells you how great everything is, that it's ok to spend this extra money on the next big thing... again, and that you have the best gadget available. We?re outside the cave enjoying the world in color.

We don't hate Apple, we're just annoyed that people can't see through their BS.

Have you ever thought that maybe people like the software?

What happens if someone out there like iTunes? and they like iOS?
doesn't matter about the price because NO ONE else in the world except for apple are selling iOS on there devices.

Windows and Android on the other hand have loads of different vendors which does drive down the price.

The fact you haven't taken this into consideration kinda makes your rant irrelevant.

"We don't hate Apple, we're just annoyed that people can't see through their BS"

--> that's what I called a good marketing done by apple

Before you argue/comparing about Samsung-Apple, long before Apple sued Samsung, Samsung always copied LG's design and sabotage/spied on LG's R&D on display technology since Android not yet invented..

Have you ever thought that maybe people like the software?

What happens if someone out there like iTunes? and they like iOS?
doesn't matter about the price because NO ONE else in the world except for apple are selling iOS on there devices.

Windows and Android on the other hand have loads of different vendors which does drive down the price.

The fact you haven't taken this into consideration kinda makes your rant irrelevant.

yes, of course I considered that. I said "great if you only want to live in the little box they've created" if you like iOS and you like their hardware then Apple products are great. the iPad is the best tablet you can buy, hands down. And you're absolutely right... no one else makes in the world products like them. Which is exactly why I get so annoyed with their lawsuits claiming that they're being copied at every turn. As of 2011 Apple and google spend more on lawyers and their patents than on research and development. Apple does nothing to slow this trend, then only perpetuate it. They're driven by Jobs' mantra of going 'thermonuclear' on google because he felt the iPhone was copied, and it's killing innovation in the phone and tablet market.

"The South Korean company's operating profit rose a whopping 89 percent to 8.8 trillion won ($8.3 billion), on revenue of 56 trillion won ($52.87 billion) during the three months ended December."

Those numbers are hard to wrap my brain around since they're so large!

I liked the dig on Apple, having just released one phone. Apple repeatedly makes the phone that I do not want so I go elsewhere with my purchase. I like having a SD Card slot, I like having a USB port, I like a good price. I think Samsung is in a better position to offer these things. That's probably why they sell more handsets. Apple just sells a Veggie Burger, Samsung sells that and everything else that you would want.

@ guest

You are right, There is nothing stopping samsung from following the same buisness models and maximizing their profits and suing the pants off any company that they feel infringes upon their design as you state.....However, samsung do not.

Most companys play nice for the sake of innovation.

Apple are not innovative, rather they try their best to stifle it ,neither have they invented 99% of the things they have claimed too. Maybe I am a hater? but give me one example of what there is to love about apple? exept woz maybe :)

Ps: im rather old and british .

Imported from Detroit!! .... Yes Apple does need to update the iphone series. A few tweeks here and there isnt doing it..Good points above why Samsung is selling like hotcakes..

It's funny how you assume everyone here is from the US....

All the year I tried to explain my apple buddy's what the other world is like and they called me apple hater, *nerd*, and yelled at me:mad:. They called apple OS easy to use :p and android as complicated
One thing I realized let them burn there pockets some day they'll realize :) I am tired of arguing :D

What someone said here about Apple: "no one else makes in the world products like them"

Ignorance is bliss...

Back