SanDisk unveils stamp-sized 64GB SSD

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

SanDisk has revealed a new class of solid-state drives that supposedly offers more speed and storage than any competing solution. The firm's integrated SSD or "iSSD" crams up to 64GB of memory into a BGA package measuring 16mm x 20mm x 1.85mm and weighing less than one gram. In more relative terms, SanDisk says that's about the size of a postage stamp and lighter than a paperclip.

Performance-wise, the iSSD peak at 160MB/s sequential read and 100MB/s sequential write rates, which isn't far behind most full-size 2.5-inch SSDs. It actually surpasses a handful of the budget drives listed on Newegg, and it's rather speedy for storage that is largely aimed at compact devices such as smartphones as well as tablets, portable media players, netbooks and smartbooks.

Samples of the iSSD are currently shipping to OEMs in capacities from 4GB to 64GB. The press release notes that pricing is dependent on the order quantity, but avoids mentioning any numbers. The company didn't say when its new drive will enter mass production, nor did it spill the names of any buyers, but you can bet Apple and other large players are preparing their checkbooks.

Permalink to story.

I mean. Why work on improving the technology so it can be produced cheaper resulting in lower prices? You know, so it will actually take off instead of just sitting there not in any way being a worthy investment over a HDD for most users. I spend most of my day on the computer but I still can not justify the purchase of a high end SDD. And lower end ones aren't much faster than HDD's that they also don't have an edge when you factor in capacity and price.

The only way the so-called "High-end SSD" will get cheaper is when there are better/faster alternatives.

Example: Lets say Intel releases a faster X-25-M with larger capacities - see the TS article on Intel's leaked SSD roadmap. When they come out with the 160/300/600 GB versions, they will have to lower the price on the current generation of SSDs (b/c there will be less demand).

Same thing happens with CPUs...how much does a Core 2 Duo cost now compared to when it was released?

hello ...

i would love SSDs to become mainstream, yet the price is still too high per GB. I need a reliable, low-energy consuming very high capacity non mechanical storage medium for my system but first i need to build my system ;)

cheers!

I agree with natefalk - SSD's are still pretty new tech, and will continue to remain expensive as long as they are the new thing. Once something better & faster comes along, they will be 'last years' thing and drop in price. Then average ppl like me can afford to get one :p. (While we drool over the hot new thing :p )

natefalk said:
The only way the so-called "High-end SSD" will get cheaper is when there are better/faster alternatives.

Example: Lets say Intel releases a faster X-25-M with larger capacities - see the TS article on Intel's leaked SSD roadmap. When they come out with the 160/300/600 GB versions, they will have to lower the price on the current generation of SSDs (b/c there will be less demand).

Same thing happens with CPUs...how much does a Core 2 Duo cost now compared to when it was released?

Which means they are inflated prices when there is demand.

It means there is less supply. When demand goes down, supply will go up and prices will go down.

Economics 101

Wonder when they will put a few of these chips directly on a motherboard so we don't have to buy a seperate system disk.

It means there is less supply. When demand goes down, supply will go up and prices will go down.

Economics 101

Well, I don't think it is as simple as just saying Econ 101. There is a technology S-Curve in there too. Couldn't find one in a real quick google search that involved R&D costs, but I found one for performance. http://samscam.co.uk/masters/close-scurve.gif

The very first products of a certain type are going to be expensive partly because some people will pay those prices, but mostly because the company is trying to re-coup the expenses incurred when developing/testing the product. Once a product is made, fine improvements can be made to it with minimal expense compared to the cost of a total redesign.

it's also to do with the product lifecycle, currently SSDs are only at the very beginning of the growth period and price will get lower as time goes on. this is the time when the company makes back all it's money for its research and development, once they have covered those costs the price will start lowering.

Thats amazing, i can just think back to them 2GB hard drives that were the size of ipads !

Back