Sata and ide problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,
I was having a problem with my ide hard drive, it would randomly skip several times in a row and the screen would freeze. My computer then seriously crashed and I got a windows32\config\system file missing error. So i backed up some files in dos and then reformated and installed xp fresh. The skipping hard drive still skipped.

And also my sata 80gig drive plugged in an adapter all of a sudden only showed up as 1.99GB mycomputer. Since then I got vista and installed it on my skippy drive temporaraly so i can get files of my sata before I format it and use it as the boot drive. IDE drive is doing better, however now when I throw a floppy in, it skips and my computer freezes.

Device manager now shows the following information for my SATA:

Disk: Disk 1
Type: Basic
Partition style: Master Boot Record (MBR)
Capacity: 76318 MB
Unallocated space: 74271 MB
Reserved Space: 0 MB

Volumes: Capacity
(F:) 2047 MB

So I guess I have two questions:
1. why are my ide devices skipping
2. why cant i read the full sata drive (have files here I need :( ).

Thank you so much in advance, sorry for the lengthy question.

My Bio,

MB: asus a7n266-vm/AA
CPU: amd athlon xp 2400+
Ram: 1 gig (2 x 512)
SATA Adapter: Adaptec ash-1205sa with 80 gig Western digital
IDE HD: Western digital 40gig

hi

It sounds like the power of the drive goes off and it turns back on making a start search sound, several times in a row.

NEVER mix IDE and SATA on the same system. Windows defaults to IDE during system errors and writes boot information. Although this setup can and does work for some time it eventually leads to errors. Use one type of drive or the other.

Tedster said:
NEVER mix IDE and SATA on the same system. Windows defaults to IDE during system errors and writes boot information. Although this setup can and does work for some time it eventually leads to errors. Use one type of drive or the other.
Thats not the problem here, if it sounds like its shutting off then turning back on 1 of 2 things are happening. 1 it really is turning off and on because of a bad power connection or 2 the drive is failing. Running a drive diagnostic tool will tell us if #2 is happening, if it is the drive is toast. Hope you have all important data backed up.

Errrrrrrr

Tedster said:

Once again, I am going to demand a credible source for this information as I am calling it total bunk. Links please.

Tedster said:

This is incorrect.

Agreed

Tedster said:

As I have said in prior posts, I have mixed IDE and SATA for years on several differnt platforms and had never encountered a problem. This should not be a concern for anyone having a "standard" hard drive problem....aka noise, no power, power up and down and write errors.

These are usually caused by the drive being faulty on its own and nothing to do with having a IDE or SATA neighbor.

Use the propor drive diagnostic tool from your manufacturer to check for irregularities and it will usually gives you an answer for your suspected problems.

For the record, I didn't mean to start an uprising here, however, I did have the need to call BS.

Tedster, I see you're in Iraq, I assume as part of the military or a contractor. I strongly suspect you're not native to the region. Agree with the war or not, I respect and support your efforts over there. The fact that you're there almost certainly makes you a bigger man than I am.

That being said, I've called you out before about this IDE/SATA nonsense. And based on Rick's EXCELLENT linked post, he has as well. Soulmata, an odd fellow whose technical knowledge I respect concurs. Rick, a not as odd fellow whose technical knowledge I respect concurs as well, and links you to the questions I've asked plus some more that were unanswered by you before. JimShady, who I dunno, but has decent post count and decent technical information agrees as well.

Statements about default write paths, error conditions, symptoms, or causes really really REALLY need a supporting link around here. I'll be the first to admit I was wrong if you can provide me a credible link (*assuming you don't post while I'm at work and cannot access TS while others can). However both empirical and reputable evidence do not support your claims.

Please back them up with primary sourced evidence of a credible, or at least reprodueable, nature.

Goalie said:
For the record, I didn't mean to start an uprising here, however, I did have the need to call BS.

Tedster, I see you're in Iraq, I assume as part of the military or a contractor. I strongly suspect you're not native to the region. Agree with the war or not, I respect and support your efforts over there. The fact that you're there almost certainly makes you a bigger man than I am.

That being said, I've called you out before about this IDE/SATA nonsense. And based on Rick's EXCELLENT linked post, he has as well. Soulmata, an odd fellow whose technical knowledge I respect concurs. Rick, a not as odd fellow whose technical knowledge I respect concurs as well, and links you to the questions I've asked plus some more that were unanswered by you before. JimShady, who I dunno, but has decent post count and decent technical information agrees as well.

Statements about default write paths, error conditions, symptoms, or causes really really REALLY need a supporting link around here. I'll be the first to admit I was wrong if you can provide me a credible link (*assuming you don't post while I'm at work and cannot access TS while others can). However both empirical and reputable evidence do not support your claims.

Please back them up with primary sourced evidence of a credible, or at least reprodueable, nature.
Sorry, I don't really have the time to research this one, but I have come across MANY cases where IDE and SATA drives lead to errors. I have experienced this even myself. So it is better to error on the side of caution.

If it wasn't such an issue, why do so many people seem to have issues when running both types of drives? There are dozens of postings here on techspot where an individual has a dual type drive setup and they have issues.

We can argue this ad naseum.

I'll see if I can find something for you, but don't hold your breath.
here are some links I found by googling:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7588_102-0.html?forumID=70&threadID=115142&messageID=1307714

http://callforhelptv.com/callforhelp/shownotes/0388.shtml?answers
(this one says you can but you must have a motherboard that supports it)

I can give you several reasons for potential problems:

1. On many older systems, particularly those motherboards with non up to date BIOS, the hardware doesn't fully support SATA through the firmware. Even though SATA drivers are loaded, the BIOS looks for the Primary IDE channel regardless of other types of drives.

2. IRQ conflicts with SATA PCI cards and IDE cards.

3. Windows XP defaulting to IDE during errors. I don't have a source for this, but I have run across this myself.

4. Motherboards that aren't SATA compliant (older boards)

Generally it just isn't a wise idea. You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that, but I have to disagree with you strongly. Like I said before, error on the side of caution and there shouldn't be any issues. Bottom line is there just are some motherboards that don't like mixing of types. Just like there are motherboards that are picky on RAM brands. Again, I never said it wasn't impossible or wouldn't work. It many cases it DOES work. But it is chancy.

Nope and I'm not an Iraqi! (You're right on that one.) 37 years of 100% Grade A American!

take care.

wow I didn't know I would create such a discussion, anyway the sata drive seems to be doing well it's just been formatted for some reason, I ran disk manager and it said I had one good partition 2gig and 78gig of unallocated space. So did windows fry my data automatically without asking???

because I sertainly did not format or delete any files.

Is there any way to recover from this??

Oh and by the way my drives are working good together it's just that one is possably fried I will try a disk checker tonight.

When you formatted the SATA drive and installed windows did you have SP2? Without SP2 Windows won't recognize large hard drives. If you formatted the entire drive with data on it, you're going to need data recovery software to get it back.

This however should be brought up in a separate thread as it is a separate issue.

thanks tedster

I followed your advice and bought restorer2000, I found 99% of my files, so I'm overexctatic:) Now my wife wont kill me for loosing our wedding pictures, guess what I'll do next.... Backup backup backup.

I still have a problem with my sata drive and floppy, however I think they are both not needed anymore so I might as well chuck'em.

Thanx again

I've never seen a SATA/IDE conflict that wasn't able to be fixed in the BIOS.

On the other hand, nobody has seen everything, and I know that every system builder discovers his or her own little things while troubleshooting.

*shrug*

I've never seen a SATA/IDE conflict that wasn't able to be fixed in the BIOS.
I've worked on proably a few thousand computers, hundreds of which I'm sure have had SATA and scores of which I'm sure were SATA + IDE setups. I can concurr with you thoughts, Foozy... But to each his own. :)

perhaps by now, most of this hullabaloo with IDE/SATA has been fixed.
I don 't have a more recent system than my MSI K7N2 board.... so for now... I just let members go with their own questions.... I think we've beat this dead horse long enough! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back