SATA to PCI-e

Hello, I just bought a second Saphire HD6670 graphics card with a crossfire, but I own a CX430 power suply, it only has 1x 6pin PCI-e power cable,
now I saw a cable that transformed SATA to PCI-e
but eventhough its 4bucks I spent all my money on that video card and crossfire cable,

does anyone know if I can just strip the sata to pci-e and strip those cables into the power insertion module in my graphics card?

That site is a power calculator that as far as I know doesn't calculate for headroom. The recommendation I gave above, comes from AMD which includes headroom. Headroom is added to keep from over stressing your power supply.

This is not to mention the possible errors involved in making your own SATA-to-PCIe power adapter.
Do you even have the connectors needed for connecting the SATA power to the card or was you thinking of wiring the PSU straight to the card? I'm going to venture a guess that you don't know about the dangers involved or the knowledge needed to make this happen. I'm guessing because you asked the question in the first place.

My advice is to save your money for another power supply and don't waste any more time on a 4 dollar adapter that can cause damage to your graphics card and/or underpowered PSU, especially if you decide to modify your own adapter.

Welllll, according to: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_6670/20.html the HD 6670 requires 42W of power, I ordered another HD6670 today (which makes a total of 2 of those in my pc, without the crossfire, and a cable from 2x molex to 1x PCI-e, im gonna disconnect my DVDdrive since I always use ISO anways, im gonna disconnect 1 HDD thats 750GB and make it external again with its own power source, and see whats gonna happend, since the dvd and hdd require about the same voltage I think its gonna end well, true?

All I can say is you may be fine but unless you stay within guidelines, there is no guarantee of safety.

And the thought of you trying this experiment and then expect Sapphire or Corsair to stand behind a product guarantee during product failure is sickening. Perhaps you could share with us who you are so we can report this behavior to Sapphire and Corsair, and void your replacement guarantee.

Back