Sata to Sata II via PCI/PCIx worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokaboy

Hello all,

i have a Hitachi Deskstar 80gb SATAII hard drive and was planning on getting another one of these hard drives and looking into creating a RAID array. My motherboard has SATA but it does not have SATAII. Im looking at 2 different PCI sataII cards,

- PCI - here

- PCIx - here

Is the PCIx one faster? and how much difference does sataII create over sata? also how much difference will the raid array make?

Thanks in advance
Moka

PCI would actually end up being a bottleneck for SATA II. I don't know why they even make PCI SATA II cards to be honest. In other words, it would kind of defeat the purpose of what you are trying to do. But PCI Express has plenty of bandwidth to work with so you will be able to get the speed and performance you are trying to achieve.

Your bottleneck is always the hard drive. The interface speeds are just a marketing bubble to turn on people who like Big Numbers. There are no drives that are able to fully utilise SATA150, not to mention SATA300. (BTW, the names SATA I and SATA II are totally wrong and people using these names are clueless: http://www.sata-io.org/namingguidelines.asp )

If you intend to put stuff into RAID, then PCI may become an issue, since two drives are indeed able to produce enough traffic to make PCI feel uncomfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back