Screen keeps going blank on new build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice on a newly built computer.

Everything has gone really well and seems to be working fine except an issue with the display. during boot and when windows first starts the display goes blank for a second or so then comes back. If I try to enter the display properties it does it again when I open the properties from the ATI icon in my sustem tray and again on exiting the display properties. It also does it when my antivirus updates are installing for some reason.

I have tried two monitors (both known to be working) and it is the same on both. I think the drivers are all up to date.

It's the first time I've built a computer and it might be something really simple I've missed????

Intel Celeron D 2.93GHz LGA775
Asrock 775Twins HDTV motherboard
Onboard ATI radeon X200 based graphics
Onboard sound
80GB Hitachi Sata Hard drive primary
60GB Western Digital IDE Hard drive secondary
512 DDR RAM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is just really frustrating......

just a question or two
running windows xp? (x64? pro? home?)
latest bios?
latest drivers for your mobo (and subsequently video)?
also, is the mobo under a warrenty of any kind (maybe they'll offer free tech support)?

Sounds like a video problem to me. Try updating drivers, or get MoBo driver updates. Just out of curiousity, what are you using that system for?

Running Windows XP Home edition.

The system is a budget system for my mother-in-law just for general internet access and word processing utilities mainly.

I'm checking for updated drivers.....

Still having problems

Right then....

I've tried reseating everything I can. occassional blank screen still occurs on startup and after certain operations on the display properties and antivirus applications. Its like the display is shutting down and then restarting after a second or so.

I have checked the graphics drivers and downloaded the latest chipset drivers for the ATI Radeon X200 from their website (ATI Catalyst Control Centre version 1.2.2271.39125).

I still get the same problem but I also get a CLI (Command Line Interface) error saying CLI has encountered a problem and needs to close. when i try to open the ATI control centre application. The control centre opens behind the error message box but the closes if I close the error box.

It's not as easy as I thought, this building lark...

respect to all you guys who can do it right!!!

i kind of had a similiar problem with my system that i recently built. but for me i just would only some times get signal to my monitor when starting up. have you tried to reseat the video card? you may also need to reseat your ram. thats what i had to do with mine. there was one other thing that i did as well but i forgot if i remember ill tell you later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back