SD card reader not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

morland

Hi,

I have a SONY VAIO VGN-FZ140E and am running XP pro SP3 (32-bit). I use my laptop only at home and use it to connect to the internet using WiFi.

The problem could be because I tried to be a "wise guy" sometime back and was messing around with the services and maybe ended up either disabling some service or setting it to 'Manual'.

I wanted to request if there is some utility which will do the following:
  1. Reset all services to the default settings
  2. Save the current status of services (in the form of HTML or Text file)
  3. Is there some place where I can see what the default AND recommended settings are

BTW, I think the related services are follows (for the card reader problem) and am listing them along with the current settings (in case the information may be useful in trying to solve the problem):

• Smart Card (Automatic)
  • SSDP Discovery Service (Automatic)
  • Universal Plug and Play Device Host (Automatic)
  • Volume Shadow Copy (Automatic)
  • Windows CardSpace (Automatic)
  • Background Intelligent Transfer Service (Manual)
  • Intel(R) Matrix Storage Event Monitor (Manual)
  • Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (Manual)
  • Protected Storage (Automatic)

Will appreciate help.

Thanks.

1. See Black Viper's web site for a great reference summary of Windows services, default configuration, explanations, recommended settings, etc

2. IMHO the absolute best tool to view and save reports about your current services (and driver) config / settings is Serviwin
> Note you can also change settings using the tool
> Note the tool will display both your services and your drivers. (Click View->Services or View-Drivers to change between the two)
serviwin.gif

3. As to card reader problem, you should also check you don't have any device driver errors. See if Windows reports any problem devices
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Thanks LookinAround. The utility which you have shared look awesome. I have downloaded it and will certainly use it.

Okay, did the msinfo32 things but got nothing under Problem Devices.

Some additional and latest details which may help:

1) the SD icon/drive was showing in Windows Explorer. Just a while back, I removed the driver (Right click on the SD drive and going into properties and then remove driver)

2) The drive automatically got installed

3) I put in my SD card (only 1 GB and it works fine on other Laptops)

4) After about 1 minute the Autoplay thing started and I was hoping that I will display the contents of my SD card but then a error message window popped up saying

G:\ is not accessible.
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

Do these details provide any clue?

P.S
One more thing. Just ran the Serviwin utility. It's awesome!!!

However when I selected only Drivers options, it lists lots of entries in Red Color. I don't know if that's normal or bad news... just thought I should share.

Hi LookingAround.

Found the solution and am sharing it in case it can be of help to some else in the community in the future.

Code:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?swItem=ob-70996-1

Appreciate your help and the wonderful sharing of the Serviwin utility.

Regards.

Hi morland

Thanks for sharing the link. :) (i was just about to look at your thread!)

The link is interesting in that the old installed driver wasn't reporting problems (given the device didn't show up in Problem Device Reports) but clearly installing/reinstalling the new driver did the trick regardless! Glad to hear you solved it :grinthumb

/* edit */
btw.. Serviwin display will display in red any Service or Driver where StartupType=Disabled and Status=Stopped. Is normal for default Windows to run with many drivers in that state. Unless you tweak any StartupTypes manually to Disable, is no worry. On the other hand, if things stopped working after you disabled something would be a different.

Also note, you click a Serviwin column header (e.g. StartupType) to sort all the line items by column header order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back