Seagate unveils new 22TB IronWolf Pro hard drive at NAB conference

DragonSlayer101

Staff
What just happened? At the NAB 2023 conference in Las Vegas, Seagate unveiled its highest capacity conventional magnetic recording (CMR) hard drive, aimed at commercial and enterprise customers. Called the IronWolf Pro, the 22 TB hard disk drives come with Seagate's AgileArray technology and offer top-end NAS and DAS performance, as well as high RAID reliability in multi-bay and multi-user environments.

The IronWolf Pro 22TB drives have a conventional 3.5-inch form factor with SATA III (6.0Gb/s) interface. They comprise ten platters and 20 accompanying heads, and feature a 512MB cache and a spindle speed of 7200 RPM.

As explained by Seagate, the IronWolf Pro offers a rated workload of 550 TB/year, enabling users to store, share, and collaborate on large amounts of data over a network. It also has an SDR of up to 285 MB/s that should allow users to seamlessly share files, back up, and tackle heavy workloads in multi-user NAS environments. The HDDs also come with built-in rotational vibration (RV) sensors to provide RV mitigation.

The new 22TB hard drives come with Seagate's IronWolf Health Management system along with three years of complimentary Rescue Data Recovery Services. While the former helps protect data with prevention, intervention, and recovery recommendations to ensure peak system health, the latter makes for a hassle-free zero-cost data recovery experience.

The drives also have a rated MTBF (mean time between failures) of 2.5 million hours, which should offer peace of mind for users. Seagate is also offering a five-year limited warranty on its new HDDs. The IronWolf Pro 22 TB HDD has an MSRP of $599.99, but is currently available for purchase on Newegg for just $399.99, which comes to just over $18 per TB.

While this is Seagate's first 22TB offering, it is certainly not the first HDD in the market with that much capacity. Western Digital already has multiple 22TB models in its portfolio, including the Purple Pro, Gold, and Red Pro drives that were launched last year. They also carry a $600 MSRP like the Seagate offering, but are currently available on Newegg starting at $498.88.

WD also recently released a new external hard disk drive with an incredible 44TB of storage. It is aimed at consumers rather than enterprise customers, and packs two 22TB drives to help users "preserve their ever-growing digital world." They come with a USB-C port with support for up to 5Gbps transfers, and have 2x USB 3.2 Gen 1/USB 3.0 Type-A ports. They come in a RAID 0 configuration by default, but users can switch to RAID 1 for redundancy.

Permalink to story.

Well after the news that 30TB drives are around the corner this does not seem very impressive now...

What we need first of all is faster hard disks with better performance in searching for scattered files and secondly more capacity.

To achieve better performance we need manufacturers to add more columns of read-write heads, either 2 as shown in the picture or even better 4 columns of head stacks. An upgrade of the Sata III standard is also needed.
ZhNnuMt.jpeg

What we need first of all is faster hard disks with better performance in searching for scattered files and secondly more capacity.

To achieve better performance we need manufacturers to add more columns of read-write heads, either 2 as shown in the picture or even better 4 columns of head stacks. An upgrade of the Sata III standard is also needed.
ZhNnuMt.jpeg
For speed I think we already have SSDs.

I remember using Stacker 3.0 to get my 496Mb Seagate IDE HDD to register as a little over 1Gb. It was insane to think I had that much capacity at a time when 1Gb+ drives were still on the drawing board. Now my video card has 24x that much capacity

I am not excited for more space, I just want longer life.
What was that new technology that makes it easier to fit more bits but is less reliable?
Yeah, I dont like that.

One thing I'd like to see with these drives is a major improvement to back ups and copying, bringing the time required down to 120 minutes ......

ZhNnuMt.jpeg
Dual Actuator drives already exist: https://geizhals.eu/?cat=hde7s&xf=1654_dual+Aktuator
As for speed SAS-4 interface already exists offering 2.8GB/s speeds with SAS-5 in development at 5.6GB/s speed.

Currently even the fastest dual actuator drives are unable to saturate SATA 6Gbps (~600MB/s).

Back