Seagate's 16TB HDDs are now available to purchase

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Solid state drives are still the ideal choice for performance-oriented applications but if it’s sheer capacity you desire, traditional hard drives offer just that at a price that can’t be rivaled.

Spinning hard drives are considered dated by most standards but advances are still being made to push the boundaries of capacity to new heights. Seagate’s new 16TB drives are a perfect example of this.

The data storage company on Tuesday said it has been actively shipping its Exos X16 HDD, a 3.5-inch 7200 RPM drive designed specifically for enterprise applications.

More applicable to the average consumer, Seagate also announced its IronWolf and IronWolf Pro 16TB drives for home and small office NAS systems and small-medium business environments, respectively. The standard IronWolf drive packs a three-year warranty and is ideal for backups, remote access and file sharing while the Pro variant comes with a five-year warranty and is meant for environments with heavier workloads.

Both IronWolf models boast 256MB of cache and utilize the SATA 6Gb/s interface.

Seagate’s Exos X16 16TB HDD carries an MSRP of $629 and is available to purchase from today. IronWolf and IronWolf Pro drives are also in stock and shipping from Connection for $590.80 and $650.58, respectively.

Permalink to story.

Get back to me when they're under $300 and I'll pick up a few
The average consumer doesn't have a need for this much space and therefore it'll never likely attain the average consumer price. This kind of capacity is really a niche product in consumer form and it allows them to charge appropriately, data centers can and will afford to purchase these drives at the price Seagate asks.

I give it 2 years and SSD's will have this much storage.

You can already buy larger SSDs so long as you have the wallet for it. I'm talking $16,000+. In comparison this HDD seems like one hell of a bargain. Even if SSD prices halved every year (which they no longer do), you'd still be looking at $4,000 for a 16TB SSD. In fact though I would be surprised if SSD prices drop by 30%, let alone halving.

At the current rate, SSD pricing will take a decade or more to get close to HDDs.

The average consumer doesn't have a need for this much space and therefore it'll never likely attain the average consumer price. This kind of capacity is really a niche product in consumer form and it allows them to charge appropriately, data centers can and will afford to purchase these drives at the price Seagate asks.
I do, I'm I'm sure there are a decent amount of others that could use more storage. My 48TB Nas is about full. It's getting pretty annoying trying to move larger things around

I have a 2tb hard drive.I removed it from dstv decoder explore 1 to be exact.the issues is it runs at start and stops.what could be tge problem.I formated it but after that it will on run for 10s and stops.please help.

Get back to me when they're under $300 and I'll pick up a few
This is nothing compared to what we have to pay for data centre disks!

Not a great deal- I just got 16TB in the form of 2 external WD drives for less than $300. And when it comes to Seagate, cross your fingers and keep them crossed! My last Seagate, a 1.5 TB external drive, just started giving the early 'Windows detected a hard disk problem’- This is the 4th Seagate drive failure in the past 3 years.

I have a 2tb hard drive.I removed it from dstv decoder explore 1 to be exact.the issues is it runs at start and stops.what could be tge problem.I formated it but after that it will on run for 10s and stops.please help.
run a diagnostics test. Both WD and Seagate have utilities that you can use to test if the drive is bad. Check the warranty as well. If it is under warranty then do an RMA. Hopefully you have a backup.

I quit buying Seagate products due to their high failure rate. I have a 4tb drive that just died after only 1.5 years of use. I have an old Samsung HD103UJ that is so old I cannot remember when I bought it and although it runs a little hot it still is in every day service. I'll be darned if I'll buy a $600 HDD that just lasts as long as the warranty. Even Western Digital drives are better.

Too bad it's Seagate. If I remember right, Seagate bought out Maxtor before it went under, they made the cheapest drives that had a high failure rate. Seagate isn't doing any better than Maxtor did, the prices are really good but the failure rate is just too high. The last drive I bought from these guys was a 2TB drive that completely failed after a couple of years service. No recovery was possible. Never again. If you buy a 16TB drive, make sure it's on a RAID system that you know works.

Seagate drives are the fastest on the market. No other HDD manufacturer can make as fast drives at the same price.

This is the price for 4x 4gb and 2x 8gb https://prisguiden.no/sok?q=ironwolf 16tb gpdr linked from this page. a good price but I would go for 4tb or bd xl 100gb 128gb and sony optical drive recorder 300gb-3.3tb https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1301986-REG/sony_odc3300r_bc_optical_disc_archive_3_30tb.html the speed of 1gb per min sec. just read what speed it burns in and on.

by using bd-r xl yeah can save more and more moveable delivery https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/sear...&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search= or just wait for 128gb up and down speed ssd 4x m2 drives pcie 4.0 - 5.0 ??

Last edited:
Back