Search change?

billyellis

It used to be that when I entered a search string and clicked "Search" I got returns of threads in the forum that might be related to the problem or question I had.

Now the search function at the top of the page returns blog, news and 'tweaks' articles as the majority of the returns from my searches. I find this extremely irritating, since it makes locating actual threads discussing problems hard to find. I can still get a regular search by using the advanced mode, but I seem to remember (I could be wrong) that in the past I never had to make the search advanced.

Has the search function changed, or has the site simply expanded the number of articles in other sections, thereby increasing the clutter in search returns?

Search has always been site-wide when using the top search box. If you want forum exclusive search you can also use the built-in local database search accessible from the forum sub-menu.

It the Search has always been site-wide but Search returns have changed dramatically, then the logical conclusion is that it is the site that has changed rather than the Search function. Of the two possibilities that is by far the more distressing..:(

A large increase in advertising ('articles' that promote specific products) returns from the Search function is very disappointing. While I understand that forums need to be able to support themselves, if TS makes it increasingly difficult to get at the core of the forum (which is why people come to the site) without being forced to sift through pages of ads and product placement 'articles' - deliberately tailored to pop up as the first returns on just about any search - just to make a buck, then the inverse Field of Dreams rule will quickly apply - People will stop coming, Ray.

EDIT: And I must say that I am completely nauseated that when I moused over what appears to be a hyperlink in the above post, I got a pop-up advertisement. Seems like this website has turned into nothing more than a corporate schill. What a shame. I can't express the depth of my disappointment. I have always found this site to be extremely helpful, but I don't feel comfortable coming back for security-type questions/answers if I am going to be assaulted with security-risk popups and ads just by coming here.. I am really saddened that someone at the top decided to sell out.

Thanks to all the posters who have helped me in the past. You have always been very pleasant and your sacrifice of your personal time to help me has always been appreciated more than I can put into words. Thank you all so much. :)

You are way out of context. We do not change or set up search results, in fact Google indexes this site for search purposes and we rely on their well proven relevancy engine to display results, so your comments are completely out of line in that respect --- "product placement articles" WTF??

I do believe ads are very well positioned across the site, and should I say, in a very intuitive manner so you can easily tell what's an advertisement and what's not.

We do not swamp users with amounts of ads either (on average we show 3 standard-sized ads per page - much less than the average site), though we do use IntelliTXT (in-text advertisement) which is not welcomed by everyone, however this has been running on this site for the past 5 years or so, and you DO have the option to turn them off.

I'm glad that TS has served you well so far but you're obviously not as familiar with the way we do things around here yet.

I think you have to realize a few things.

1. The ads on the site have not made a dramatic change since I have joined in 2004.
2. The few ads that are on this site are generally geared at things alot us are interested in, such as the crucial RAM ad I see right now. They are not your normall spam ads about ringtones and such.
3. Look at the amount of members. The traffic generated at a site like this is costly. Considering you are not charged to get tech advice, is Julio expected to just pay out of pocket to run this site?

I challenge you to find a site that has no adverstising and no fee to use.

-Sean

I would like to put my opinion in, I have to agree with AtK SpAdE, how would Julio be able to continue running the site without Income.

He is using the Space on the Website very wisely for the Ads and keeping Techspot going and I wouldn't be surprised if he can negotiate very good Ad deals because of the amount of Traffic through the Website everyday and these Ads are in the best interests of the Site.

The ads never get in my way or bother me, its actually good to see somethings the Ads show, some are highlighted over text, try logging out and look at the site as a guest they get 1 Ad about every 5 posts I think which isn't bad at all. Julio has set it up so the Members don't see that while logged on, only 1 ad at the top and little highlighted ads in text surely that isn't a problem.

I've never seen a site without advertisements with this much Traffic, I second the Challenge from AtK SpAdE to find a Website like this without adds.

Back