Sears launches movie download service Alphaline Entertainment

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Think there's room for another player in the video streaming business? Sears believes so, announcing its movie download service today, Alphaline Entertainment -- though it's not an entirely new offering. Sears has licensed the RoxioNow platform from Sonic Solutions, the same firm that Best Buy partnered with last year to ship electronics with its (RoxioNow-powered) CinemaNow service.

Sears has similar plans, as it is working with Sonic on a "multi-phase rollout" that will see Alphaline Entertainment embedded in various connected devices, including portable media players, Blu-ray players, mobile phones, and HDTVs. New titles will be available to purchase through the store the same day they ship on DVD and Blu-ray, but don't expect a steep discount on the digital form.

Looking at the Alphaline Entertainment store, DVD-quality downloads of movies like The American and The Town are priced at $19.95, which compares to $10-$15 on Amazon for physical copies. 24-hour rentals are cheaper at $3.99, but that still seems unreasonable compared to Netflix's $7.99 all-you-can-eat approach, even if you do have to wait an extra month for new releases.

Permalink to story.

Actually if any company has a chance of selling streaming technology to people over the age of 50 it's Sears.

Sears' prices for anything but home appliances are awful. I got a fridge there, and while at the store looked at TVs. They were all 720p, and I made an offhand remark about Best Buy tvs being 1080p. So the guy in the store went on basically a diatribe about how below 44", your eyes can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

Problem is, the tvs in Sears looked lower quality, and were still more expensive. Basically, I was looking for an excuse to leave the tvs alone, since I wasn't about to drop an extra $10-50 for an inferior tv.

Is it just a coincidence that I'm seeing THREE Netflix ads on the same page as this article, and a fourth Netflix ad on this page where I'm typing my comment? lulz.

Back