Second hard drive not detected

Actually i have a SATA 1.5gbps , 40gb installed on my pc. I recently ordered a "seagate 7200.12 500gb sata 3gbps.

I connected the hard drive but the neither the bios nor xp is detecting it. My motherboard supports SATA 2, and also i have gx550 watt cooler master psu.

I tried everything but still nothing detected. I changed the sata ports but the older one is detected everytime, but the new one doesnt get detected.

I even updates my bios to latest version, please tell me wat is the problem.

My cables are not damaged, can the hard drive be faulty, or i m missing something...

the easiest way to detect if the drive is faulty is to simply try it in another machine, if possible. you could also try the new drive connected by itself. SATA drives do not typically have jumpers so they should all be detected at once, but every now and then one may not be properly initialized, so isolating it could do the trick. if all else fails, visit Seagate support and inquire about the problem. it may just be DOA

hey

my old drive is 3.5'' and the new one is 2.5'', does this makes any change. do i have to get other connectors for the 2.5''

no, SATA connectors are SATA connectors... you use the same cables for either form factor. the only difference is the size of the drive itself and probably the speed. this doesn't make any difference with compatibility though, so it should work given the drive is not DOA.

Back