See the PlayStation 4 Pro's new Mass Effect: Andromeda 4K gameplay video

midian182

Staff member

The Mass Effect trilogy is regarded as one of the best video game series ever made. Even today - over six years since it was released - Mass Effect 2 is often voted the greatest game of all time. So it’s understandable how the next entry in franchise, Andromeda, has a lot of people excited. Now, we finally get to see its first gameplay video, all in glorious 4K.

Electronic Arts and Bioware showed off the footage at Sony’s PlayStation meeting yesterday. The game's still in a pre-alpha stage, but it’s already looking very good. We don’t learn a great deal from the clip, though the long-rumored jetpack makes an appearance. And thanks to PC Gamer, it's now been confirmed that the male and female protagonists are siblings.

The event was Sony’s way of unveiling its two new consoles – the slimline PlayStation 4 and the 4K-enabled PlayStation 4 Pro. The Andromeda footage comes from the latter machine (it's still being referred to as the Neo in the video), meaning it can be viewed at a resolution of up to 3840 X 2160.

Not all new titles for the PlayStation 4 Pro will support true 4K rendering the way Andromeda does. As reported by Engadget, the Polaris-powered machine gives developers two options: a “Resolution mode” that locks games into a resolution beyond 1080p, and a “Quality mode,” which dynamically scales the resolution depending on how the game is performing.

It's expected that the PS4 Pro’s main draw won’t be true 4K games, but its ability to run titles in resolutions higher than 1080p combined with its use of high-dynamic range lighting. HDR, incidentally, is coming to all PS4 models in a future firmware update.

One surprising absence from both consoles is the ability to play Blu-ray discs, something Microsoft has already picked up on. The Windows maker sent a note to the press following Sony’s event pointing out that the Xbox One S is the only console with a built-in 4K Blu-ray player.

The full trailer for Mass Effect: Andromeda arrives on November 7. The slim PlayStation 4 goes on sale September 15 priced at $299, while the PlayStation 4 Pro launches November 10 for $399.

Permalink to story.

Not bad. I have to connect my pc to 4k tv to see it. Not bad for a 399usd machine. I guess the optimization of the game also really helped.

If only we could see the hair in the mole of his chest then I guess we would see more positive comments here.

In-game character animations look excellent - I'm looking forward to seeing what other improvements they make.
For the PS Pro, the article suggests that it is intended for resolutions higher than 1080p but lower than 4K - I wasn't aware that any TVs have resolutions that fall into that range.

"Not all new titles for the PlayStation 4 Pro will support true 4K rendering the way Andromeda does. As reported by Engadget, the Polaris-powered machine gives developers two options: a “Resolution mode” that locks games into a resolution beyond 1080p, and a “Quality mode,” which dynamically scales the resolution depending on how the game is performing."

I'd be more interested in seeing an in-depth article on this stuff. Are future console games going to be more PC like in the user being able to choose resolution and target frame-rate? Or is it going to be more dumbed down as in "This is designed for 4K/30fps but will drop down to 1080p/30fps during sub 30fps slowdowns, but you can't force 1080p/60Hz as a preference over 4K/30fps"? If it's the latter, well I'd take 1080p/60fps over 100000K/30fps any day.

The ps4 or any ps model will always be the laughing stock of pc gamers. The platform and consoles in general are so plain like plain folk in the old western days. Nowadays companies say their device can output 4k when in reality their devices only output a sample or cropped version of 4k. I am sure somebody gonna sue them again when they realize that its not true 4k that this ps4 is really doing

If it looks that good on PS4 Pro, I want to see what it will look like running on PC! Although, I have this feeling it'll probably be limited to slightly higher texture resolutions and maybe more complex smoke / shadows and that'll be about it.

Back