Seperate HDD for OS core

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix CMXIV

I am currently Triple booting my computer. ( WIn XP, Win Vista, Win 7 beta) what has been annoying, is the fact that i had to copy some files over, and over again to use them. Mostly Games like Guild Wars, and all my Steam Games. I was wondering if i could have a seperate HDD, like 50GB, to install my OS on, and a larger, 500GB HDD for all my media. Not having to have redundant copies that serve no purpose but to take up room.

Each operating system has to maintain a separate file system and there is no overlap. The only way I could see to do what you want would be if you could 'network' the 3 systems (like they were 3 comps). But that involves somehow running them all at once.

I could be wrong.

For media and crap yes, but for actual programs, no. You have to install each on each OS. BUT you actually can install to the same directory on the same drive, all that really has to happen is the installer needs to write some crap to the registery.

What about mapping SNGX1275 - could you could install the game to F:\Fear then map that folder to the operating systems on drives C:, D: and E: when you booted them?

(I ignored basic files since the extra drive is simply a slave storage facility)

Mapping isn't an area I know much about obviously. Like many other things, I am working on it.

Segregating the OS from Programs or Data is frequently found on other OS systems.

You can {partially} still use it even on Windows (ie install on say D:\Program Files which you create)
but the real issue is the Windows Registry which is always on the Boot Partition.

It is a real exercise in RegEdit to copy the correct keys to a .reg file and then reapply them on another system :(

What about mapping SNGX1275 - could you could install the game to F:\Fear then map that folder to the operating systems on drives C:, D: and E: when you booted them?

(I ignored basic files since the extra drive is simply a slave storage facility)

Mapping isn't an area I know much about obviously. Like many other things, I am working on it.
Through the features NTFS gives you? I'm not sure, I've never messed with folders as drives or however that works. Interesting idea though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back