Server 2003 and XP Dual Boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCSUFrenchie

I have been using Server 2003 on my dual-core AMD machine for the past 6 months or so, and recently have been having some issues with it. I do have an extra copy of XP Pro floating around and want to install it on this machine, but don't want to have to format the drive/get rid of 2003 entirely. I want to fix 2003, but I don't have the time to do so right now.

My question is: Is it ok to install XP Pro as a dual boot with 2003 even though I have been reading Mcsft docs that say not to install XP after Server 2003 because it can delete some important 2003 files?

I take some instructions with a grain of salt as they are often written for your average Sunday-user, but is this warning for real? I imagine I could always do a repair install of 2003 after I have reallocated the partition on the drive and thrown XP on there... or would 2003 whine because it can't create a dual-boot environment on a repair install?

Hopefully it is a simple solution that I have just overlooked :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance y'all

The only files that will be overwritten are the 2003 bootloader ones, unless you decide to put XP on the same partition as 2003 :p.

2003 shouldn't complain about anything.

I have a triple boot system. I have Server 2000, Server 2003, and Suse Linux 9.3. When you install new systems just install them on different portions. When the computer boots it will ask what system you would like to load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back