Service Pack2 messed up my computer -- I Removed it and STILL have the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acemoose

I'm using IE6, with an XP Home Operating system.

Everything was running smoothly until I installed XP Service Pack 2.

Then when I logged back on, and went on the Internet, opening web pages and doing my usual on-line stuff, I discovered that when I closed ONE window -- ALL my windows got blown away and I got the Grey Box that said "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem....and must close"

I "Remove"d XP2, and that didn't help. I then did a Recovery to just before
I installed SP2 (there were no earlier Recovery points available), and THAT
still didn't help. Then I had to reinstall my McAfee Virus Scan10, because it
had been corrupted.

But even now, with (supposedly) all of the Service Pack2 Removed, I still have the same problem when I close one window on the 'Net-- if I close ONE Web page when I am on line, ALL the web pages still get blown away and I still keep getting that Grey Box "Internet Explorer has Encountered a Problem" message.

Now, all I can do is REDUCE each web page as I am thru working on it.

Bummer

What can I do?

There has to be a solution to this -- my Internet Explorer was working just Fine, until I installed Service Pack2.

Welcome to Techspot!
Did you run windows update a few times after you installed sp2?
There are a number of update files for IE that must be installed completly. It takes about 3-4 visits to update, to get them when you first install sp2.
If you did not ,I suggest you put SP2 back on and run MS update a few times. Especially since you still have the problem, what have you got to lose?

Yikes

How will I know which updates to install? I know Microsoft is more than ready to install a whole slew of them on my desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back