Set e-mail on laptop now e-mail on desktop is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeyDaKidd

Hello to all, I just set up my e-mail account in outlook on my laptop and now the e-mails in outlook on my desktop is all gone. I was trying to set up the same account on both the laptop and desktop. I'm using outlook o7 on both computers. Just wondering how i can restore all the e-mails on my desktop cause thats where I setup the account first. Or if there is a .pst file on the exchange I could import.The e-mail account is a pop3 account. please help thanks.

If your accessing emails on two or more computers I would use IMAP instead of POP3 if your email accounts support it.

Using IMAP, and thus keeping the emails on the server at all times will mean whats done in one outlook will be mirrored in the other.

It is one of the biggest frustrations I had with Outlook and POP3 in general.

Regarding your problem. I;m not sure why your emails have gone, if you havent changed your POP3 settings, they should all be saved on your computers hard drive locally. I can't really help with that problem I'm afraid, I just thought hearing about IMAP would make your life easier like it has mine.

Some POP3 email services such as the one Gmail offers through ISPs allow you to keep a copy on their web servers even after an email is downloaded to an individual PC. You just need to check to see if this feature is offered.

Some POP3 email services such as the one Gmail offers through ISPs allow you to keep a copy on their web servers even after an email is downloaded to an individual PC. You just need to check to see if this feature is offered.

That was a feature I tried, but in reality all I found was emails I'd received and replied too on one computer were arriving as new, unread emails on the other. It just mixed everything up continiously and was very unproductive for me. lol.

Maybe I didn't do something right, but in the end I found that IMAP was much better suited for multiple computers, and the way I use email in general.

Hmm. That problem doesn't happen to me even though I sometimes use two different PCs at home to access my POP3 email. Perhaps it was a configuration issue or if you had something other than Gmail POP3, it didn't work the same.

Hmm. That problem doesn't happen to me even though I sometimes use two different PCs at home to access my POP3 email. Perhaps it was a configuration issue or if you had something other than Gmail POP3, it didn't work the same.

Might be the issue then, as I have my own server, and all my email addresses are through my several domains. I don't use gmail, or any of the like.

Mind you, I've been using IMAP for several years now, and I'm very happy with it never-the-less. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back