Set up wireless lan without internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm going to friends house for lan party but he says he has no internet and a wireless router. But there arn't enough ports to support all the computers, so is there a way to set up wireless lan to connect to wired computers too.

Btw router is a linksys.

Yes! All wireless routers are really wired routers with wireless ANT. Don't need internet to run a LAN party! You just need software to run it in the house. Also one PC should be the main server to host the virtual world game you're going to be in on your PCs. Not the hard to do. The 4 ports on most routers will fill up I recommend not using those ports and use an external 8-port unmanaged switch for wired connections only plus using WAP wireless access point extender. Once all is running you're have fun. You'll just run out PCs for everyone, if kids are home then yep... :)

So I can plug 4 computers into wireless router, and 4 connect to the wireless router and they will all be able to communicate via lan?

I remember trying it before and only some computers can see each other.

Your previous problems were probably the result of settings on the specific PC's that were not seen on the network. Check the network settings on machines that are working on the lan with the same OS and apply those to the PC that is not working. Remember to set back the changed PC's once the party is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back