Setting up a network between a laptop and desktop pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

sappleton

I have recently setup broadband on my laptop using a wireless connection. I have another computer downstairs with a usb connection into the main box.

as I know nothing about networking at all, does anyone have a easy guide to tell me how this is setup? because there are so many different options I can never tell whats right, also, whether I have to set it up the laptop differently to the desktop?

R you go'n to go wireless on PC
just remember speed is limeted on wirelss also should get yourself a firmware firewall as thers new type of hitech crime can't remember the name of it but the short hair is they get close nough to your setup to hack on to your wirless system.
I never did like the idea unsecure and slow bandwidth

Samstoned said:
R you go'n to go wireless on PC
just remember speed is limeted on wirelss also should get yourself a firmware firewall as thers new type of hitech crime can't remember the name of it but the short hair is they get close nough to your setup to hack on to your wirless system.
I never did like the idea unsecure and slow bandwidth

the speed is fine, the laptop is wireless, the desktop is usb, both ethernet

I set up mine this way (d-link): PC is main station from wireless router (in order to make any changes or set up system). 2 other PCs and 1 laptop with wifi. I let the wifi software assign ip #s. Pretty much the wifi software for each computer took care of everything. I just had to enter the correct password in order to connect. What product are you using and did it come with any instructions?? :cool:

Micster0311 said:
I set up mine this way (d-link): PC is main station from wireless router (in order to make any changes or set up system). 2 other PCs and 1 laptop with wifi. I let the wifi software assign ip #s. Pretty much the wifi software for each computer took care of everything. I just had to enter the correct password in order to connect. What product are you using and did it come with any instructions?? :cool:

what wifi software?

i have a trendnet wireless pcmcia cad, comes with instructions but doesnt say how to set up a network between 2 computers

when i go to 'my network places' i can see his computer but it doesnt let me access the folder

Do you have a wireless router? I "believe" you have to have one and then wifi cards for the other computers. My router is hardwired to my main desktop, from there all the other computers run off cards. D-link is the manufacturer I use. Yes, lots of other info out there in cyberspace.

Micster0311 said:
Do you have a wireless router? I "believe" you have to have one and then wifi cards for the other computers. My router is hardwired to my main desktop, from there all the other computers run off cards. D-link is the manufacturer I use. Yes, lots of other info out there in cyberspace.

i have a wireless router in a different room to the wireless laptop, the desktop is plugged into the wireless router via usb

its not the hardware setup thats bothering me, its the software setup

all i want to know is e.g. do i go to network setup wizard, or wireless network setup wizard? as i have 1 desktop and 1 laptop(wireless)

also, on the setup do i go to home setup or office setup?

also, when it asks me whether i want to create a network setup disc for other computers - which choice should i go to?

Unfortunately, you are at a place that is beyond my knowledge. The D-Link wifi was alot simpler to set up. All I had to do was set up whether I wanted wep, wep-psk etc. Then once I turned on the other computers, it found the network, asked if I wanted to connect and entered password. Much much simpler. Sorry I couldn't be of further help. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back