Setting up a wireless home network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, newbie here and desperately needing your help.

I got a free wireless access point (ASUS WL-330) when I bought my laptop.
It says that it's a 3-in-1 hardware: Ethernet, Wireless Access Point and Brisge. I really don't know much about networking computers but here's what I wanted to do:
Network my desktop and my laptop - use the wireless access point on the desktop and connect my laptop to the desktop through WiFi. I'm hopinh through this set up I can share my DSL connection on my desktop to my laptop.

Do I need to purchase another hardware (hub or router) to make this set up work? Or will the Wireless AP suffice? Also, how do I go about networking my Desktop and Laptop (wireless).

No need to shout..

That 3-in-1 is just buzzwords. AT most you can say you have a 2-in-1 device that supports wifi and ethernet.

No, you don't need any extra hardware. Set up the AP as described in the manual. Once the wireless works you configure the network just like you would for a wired connection - there is no difference.

For intrenet you will have to use the Windows internet connection sharing. Or buy a wired broadband router (those are cheap now that the wireless is the all the rage) for a more robust solution.

That's where the problem begins. First, I don't know a thing about networking. I really don't understand what the manual is saying.

So I connect the AP to the desktop (as an AP right?). I also need to install the utilities that came with the AP. That should take care of the networking? What about the SSID, IP etc. How do I deal with that.

Sorry for all the questions...really a virgin with networking.

I have a Linksys WiFi AP, it might be similar to yours in the way you set it up. Connect the cable from your DSL modem to the WLAN port on the back of the AP. Then connect your desktop through a ethernet cable to any port usally 1-4 on the back of the AP. Now install the software.

Ok setting up the WiFi is pretty easy, depending on if you need security or not. Im in a remote place on the earth so i dont use and WEP encryption, its a hastle if you ask me, and no one is going to hack my internet b/c i cant see a house for a mile away. On the other hand if you want WEP, all you have to do is enable it. After your done installing goto your web browser and in your manual there it should tell you the IP adress of the AP. In your browser type in the IP, it will ask you for a User Name and Password, on linksys its just admin admin for default, your manual will tell you yours.

OK first off its there should be a field were you can enter in your SSID. THis is just the name of your wifi, i.e. mine is just the default linksys; You can name it whatever you want. Next make sure DHCP is enabled. Thus it will automaticly assign you an IP. To enable WEP encryption goto the security tab and enable WEP 128bit encrytion. Just make your password and dont forget it. I belive that for DSL you have to enter in you domain name and etc. mine is located on the main page, usally your logon information for your dsl. AFter all of that save and you should be all set.

now your desktop will be connected VIA ethernet not wifi. so there will be no need for a wifi card for your desktop, unless of course you want it to be on wifi. When you setup your wifi cards, enter the SSID and select 128bit encrytion and enter in the password. Most cards have some graphic that display the card connecting. Once it goes all the way through it will get a IP from DHCP and your all set. I belive that the laptop and the desktop will be networked but iam unsure b/c when i LAN i have like 10 ppl come over and we use gigabit ethernet. well good luck to ya. i'll try to answer what i can if you have a question. :p

Edit: The "paragraph" feature is a wonderful thing and infinitely improves the readability of things.. -- Nodsu

So here's what I did and what happened.

From the wall, my modem connects to my desktop through the USB port (I don't have any other device -- router or hub -- in between). I connected the ASUS WL-330 to the RJ-45 on the desktop (I also switched the WL-330 to AP).

When I was trying to follow the manual, when set in AP and you run the Setup Wizard it should show that the device is in AP Mode. However, I always get Ethernet Adapter Mode when I try to run the wizard. So at this point it alrady prevents me from setting up my desktop with the access point.
> Is it because I am plugging the WL-330 AP device to the desktop's NIC that's why it's always detected as an ethernet device instead of an AP device?

I guess all I really want to do is for my desktop to see my laptop using the WL-330 as an AP. I'll try to figure out how to share the internet connectivity of the desktop with the laptop later.

Here's an illustration of what I want to do:

Internet --> USB Modem --> Desktop (attache the WL-330 AP device) ---> Laptop sees the Desktop through the AP.

If you had read the manual then you would know about the mode switch on the device to toggle between AP and ethernet adapter modes..

There's a switch under the device. If I switch it one way (AP) and run the set up wizard it recognizes it as an Ethernet Adapter. If I go the other way (Adapter) it still recognizes the device as an Ethernet Adapter.

Could it be that you have a faulty device? As far as I can see from the manual the switch is the only thing that defines the mode of the thing.

mAybe. I haven't tried this device except with the desktop and the laptop I've got. Could this also be the source of the problem...

My ISP provided me with a DSL modem that connects to my PC through USB and not through the usual RJ45. So it doesn't have a DC in. It gets its power from the PC through the USB connection. So, to connect the device with the (USB) modem, I had to use a USB-to-RJ45 converter. Problem is when i plug the connector (Internet --> DSL Modem --> converter --> AP device) the DSL modem doesn't have any power (LED indicator is off).

Is there any way for me to get around this -- without changing my USB modem to the conventional RJ-45 modem?

Hmmmm .... I dont see any way i could connect a USB modem to my AP, the only way I think is VIA ethernet. Setup should look like

Ethernet(modem)--->WLAN(AP)--->Ethernet(desktop)---->Port1(AP)

The company should have provided you with a 12V transpormer in case you didnt want to use USB. Just give the compant a call and see if they cant bring you one or send you one in the mail. After you get one setup the AP like above.

Once all plugged up, go into the setup, and just enter in you DSL logon information, domain name, and make sure wireless is enabled. After that default settings will have WEP off and your laptop with a wireless card should be able to see the AP and recieve internet. Your desktop will recieve internet VIA the ethernet cable.

So my initial set up won't seem to work so I bought a wirless router (D-Link 624+). However, since the ADSL modem is USB I still can't generate enough power to drive the modem.

So I decided I'll just network the desktop and the laptop through the 624+. I followed the quick installation guide and joining the network guide. However, my laptop can't find the shared files of the desktop. I guess, theya ren't networked yet.

Make sure that on each computer they are on the same Workgroup or Domain Name. Also on the files,folders, or drives you want to share make sure you enable sharing. This can be done by right clicking the file,folder, or drive and clicking on the sharing tab.

If the two computers are not on the same workgroup or domain name you wont be able to see each other. You can still ping them, but in order to properly share file and print services they need to be in the same workgroup or domain name. Right click on My Computer and goto properties and click on Computer Name tab, there you will be able to put the workgroup or domain name in. I personaly recoment workgroup its easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back